PDA

View Full Version : Pinworms????

Pinworms????

Rhoman
07-09-2002, 11:05 PM
I was just reading the Serpenco forum and Rich was talking about quarntineing snakes and mentioned pinworms as a posible problem. My mouse colony and 1 of the bps I keep was diagnosed several months ago with pinworms. I was told that this is just a fact of life with live mice. Is this not true? Are pinworms dangerous? What should I do to get rid of them? Thanks for the help.
Rhoman

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
07-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Go down a couple of post and read what corncrazy wrote about parasites. Good luck. Sam ~~~~~~~~:~:confused:

Tim Madsen
07-11-2002, 07:36 AM
Yes you have a better chance of parasite infestation with live mice and it doesn't matter what type of diet the mice are on. Freezing kills a lot of parasites but not all, so periodic fecal exams are a good idea. IMHO

Rachel
07-11-2002, 12:52 PM
Im not sure if this will help or not but here goes anyway... I know that pinworms that infect humans are not a threat to our health (same with cats and dogs). Im not 100% about how thay affect mice or snakes. Does anyone have more info on this??

Rhoman
07-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Should I try and treat the mice and snakes for pinworms or do you think they are harmless? Thanks.
Rhoman:confused:

CornCrazy
07-12-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Rhoman
Should I try and treat the mice and snakes for pinworms or do you think they are harmless? Thanks.
Rhoman:confused:

I think you should treat them...but be certain about the treatment first. I know you have read my thread on strongyloides, so you know the danger that can be caused by the treatment...especially if the doctor tells you the wrong dosage...as in my case. I think that any intestinal parasites can be harmful to your snake...don't take chances with them.