PDA

View Full Version : I don't know?

I don't know?

jake the snake
09-23-2004, 02:31 PM
I got my snake on friday 2 weeks ago. I have handeled him almost every day and have tried feeding him every 3 to 4 days. Should I let him settle in for 6 more days with no handeling and the regular 12/12 light cycle then try feeding him? The guy I got him from said he ate the tuesday before he shipped him. He is an eleven inch het for hypo and very beautyful so I don't want him to starve to death. He is in a 20 long and has 3 hiding spots. I am realy woried because he barley acts like he notices the pinks in the bag or sandwich container? Its been 10 DAYS since he supposibly last ate. any recomendations like tease feeding or scenting? thanks I tried braing but he didn't seem to notice it. I have tried live and f/t.

moreptiles
09-23-2004, 02:48 PM
I would put him in a small container, like a deli cup with the holes punched in it, for about 6 hours with the right temperature (approx 82 F) so that he can get accustomed to the small container. Then I would take a f/t pinky and wash it with dish soap and water and rinse it good to get the soap off. Then get it nice and warm and dry and put it in the small container with the snake. Feed him in the evening when it is the beginning of the dark cycle and leave it in there undisturbed overnight. This is a good next step to try.

Mark

Azruial
09-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Then I would take a f/t pinky and wash it with dish soap and water and rinse it good to get the soap off.

Not saying it's wrong or anything, but I wonder why that would help? I would think that that would kill the scent which is a major trigger for the feeding response.

Also, be careful not to bake him in the tupperware, I've heard of that happening because people don't realize that a small tupperware container in a room is kind of like a car in the world, it can get much hotter much faste with any light on it.

I wouldn't panic yet because it has been 10 days, they can go months and be fine. If you get a regurge ( :-puke01: ) then you MUST wait at least ten days before you try feeding again so, it isn't thad big of a deal.

Jicin
09-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Teasing works for me. Thaw the pinkie (have you tried live btw?) in warm water in a plastic back. That way the scent won't be rubbed of. Possibly even brain the pinkie. Then put it together with the snake in a dark, secluded space.
If that doesn't work in an hour or 2. Rewarm the pinkie again in warm water and 'tease' the snake with it. Carefull not to scare the snake instead. I just pretent the walk to, and away, from the snake. If he turns away i touch the snakes body with the pinkie. With my snakes at least, that's an instant snap at the pinkie.

Azruial
09-23-2004, 03:38 PM
warm water in a plastic back. That way the scent won't be rubbed of.
I believe that's "bag" not back, just to avoid confusion.

Krenna
09-23-2004, 04:07 PM
If all else fails, buy a live anole at petco, cost about 7 $ tops. You can do this one or two way. First freeze anole to kill most parasites, or boil. Then defrost and use the anole to scent your pinkie (rub anole on pinkie). You can use the skin, blood etc.

Or take your chances hold the anole down try to get it to bite the pinkie, then rub pinkie all over the anole.

Put in small container, basically what Meg had suggested.

When my sister got her amel we had to lizard scent the food.

We bought Lizard Maker but it did not work for us. However most swear by it.

MegF.
09-23-2004, 07:21 PM
According to his posts, he's tried live and f/t. You said that you've handled him everyday. Did you give him a 3-5 day settling in period before you started holding him? If not, you may want to give him a few days without handling him and then try again. You might also try taking the substrate out (if you have any in there), putting in paper towels, and just putting the pinky in front of the hide he's in. I had a very nervous aztec that I fed like that, and after 4 feedings or so, she started coming out whenever I opened her viv, and would eat the mouse out of my hand. She now eats in a separate container, and I've never had a problem with her biting, but feeding her like that made all the difference.

gardenmum
09-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Definitely let the little one be and relax for a bit. You should always let a newly acquired snake be alone in its home for a few days before handling it. Some snakes don't get overly concerned about the stress of shipping and a new home but most do and it is best to let them become relaxed in their new surroundings. The problem may be that this little one just needs to chill out for a few days then will eat without a problem. If, however, after a about a week with NO handling or pestering, just check to make sure there is clean water and proper temps, the little one still refuses to eat, there are many ways to tempt them to do so.

If you do a search on "non feeders" on these forums, you will come up with many postings on this subject with varying methods people have used that work and those that don't work.

My first suggestion though, is to let the little guy be alone and relax. Then try putting him/her into a deli cup with a warmed up pink and leave in a darkened proper temp place overnight. Most times, when you check on it in the morning, the pink is gone and the snake is happy.

Good luck.

WAS1
09-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Warming and braining the pinkie has worked everytime for me, hatchlings cant seem to resist. A healthy snake should always respond to this, but as has been said he may be stressed and should be left alone and quiet, and not in bright light for 3-4 days, then tried again.

jake the snake
09-25-2004, 01:58 PM
I left him in a small dark place all night and he ate the brained pinkie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the help.