PDA

View Full Version : ok, just lost a baby

ok, just lost a baby

ChaosCat
09-24-2004, 11:14 PM
This is the first time I've ever lost a baby snake. I was downstairs cleaning, and heard this thwapping noise. Traced it down to one of the 2004 het. blizzard babies, whipping around in its container.

I open its container, and the poor little thing is flipping about with its mouth open. There was this yellow-green pus like stuff coming out of its glottis, so I tried to get some of it out-put what I could collect in a specimen bag.

While I was trying to help it, the little one died. :( I'm not sure what happened or why!

The body is in the fridge until monday, when I can drop it off at the vet's for a necropsy. All the other baby corns appear fine (then again, this one was fine and even shed today!) but I'll be keeping a close eye on them. No other snakes are showing any signs of illness.

Anyone had something like this happen?

niki
09-25-2004, 05:54 AM
i hade a hatchling who wouldnt eat he survived for a long while. He died in the same way it was awful it was contorted in pain and there was sticky goo in its mouth. Please post your findings i would be interested to know.

p.s im really sorry the little dude died

MegF.
09-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Bad news Chaos Cat. Let us know what the necropsy shows.

Quigs
09-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I too...will be interested in what happened. That's just odd!

Sorry about your loss and good luck with the rest of the clutch.

Quigs

Hurley
09-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I had an adult come to me who came down with a respiratory infection post-shipping (shipping stress induced, I trust the person who sent it to me and it was fine before). This boy died (despite treatment) in the same manner you described. He flung himself around the cage, spewing whitish pus due to blockage of his trachea by the thick stuff. I caught him, milked the exudate out of his trachea and he calmed down. He did the same thing an hour later and I was unable to get to him in time. He thrashed, flipped over, and died.

:(

Hope the necropsy gives you some answers.

ChaosCat
09-26-2004, 12:47 AM
Funny thing is, this hatchling was born here. He's been a great eater (I'm looking at his chart right now) with no regurges, odd poops, or missed sheds. There were NO symptoms until yesterday's seizure activity.

All the other hatchlings ate tonight, none of them are showing any symptoms.

Quigs
09-26-2004, 12:54 AM
That's a good thing...knock on wood!

Quigs

gardenmum
09-26-2004, 07:47 AM
I am very sorry to hear about your bizaar loss. I, too, hope the necropsy gives you some answers and good ones.

Best of luck.

Adam & Eve
09-26-2004, 04:23 PM
I have to agree that that is strange... Sry about your loss. I wonder if there's anything we could do to prevent this illness???

CAV
09-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Just out of curiosity CC,

Did the snake have a pine green colored smear/streak under the belly scales?

ChaosCat
09-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Cav: no. The snake had no symptoms other than the seizures before it died.

pcar
09-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Sorry about your loss. Hope that you get answers soon. And that your other littles ones stay healthy.

Skye
09-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Sorry to hear your news. Let us know any results that come back

Jimmah
10-04-2004, 10:20 PM
sorry to read about the loss. any results of the necropsy yet? i'm interested in doing research on whatever it died from.

-J