PDA

View Full Version : some quick stupid questions

some quick stupid questions

nova
07-10-2002, 08:47 PM
Ok, one of my new corns is arriving tomorrow. It is an upper keys corn does any one have one? It is 24 inches long. I have one of those 10 by 8 critter cages, you know the plastic ones. Would it be ok, or would it be good for temporary use only. Also I was going to use some plastic critter cages for 2 or more hatchlings (finally some from rich:D ) When winter comes around would I be able to use a heating pad underneath, or would it melt, thanks in advance.

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
07-10-2002, 10:34 PM
Hello Nova, I think that 8X10 sounds a little small for a 24 inch snake. I t might be good for a feeding area. Our 01s are getting ready to move out of a 20 gallon tank into a 30 gallon. I don't know about melting, the container should tell you. Have you picked out any names yet? I bet your're excited. Sam ~~~~~~:~

Tim Madsen
07-11-2002, 07:45 AM
That cage might do for a temporary home but in a year it's going to be 3 feet long or longer. I would get it into what ever cage you plan on using permanently as soon as possible. IMHO

nova
07-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Ok thank you both tim and psycosnakemom.

Tim: what does IMHO mean i see it alot.

Psycosnakemom: I have not decided a name yet, any suggestions?

Rachel
07-11-2002, 12:42 PM
I used to use one of those plastic critter cages with a heat mat underneath. It shouldnt melt the tank...if it does then your heat mat is WAY too hot!

nova
07-11-2002, 12:44 PM
its a he, name????

Jimmy C.
07-11-2002, 01:14 PM
Hey Nova,
Great snake! IMHO? I had to ask Tim the same thing.
It means In My Humble Opinion. Good luck with the new guy. I posted some names on the other post(photo gallery)
Jimmy C.

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
07-13-2002, 09:24 PM
Hi Nova.... VERY beautiful snake. We picked many of our names from our favorite characters in books. But I also have two "cutie" type of names based on how they look or act, Beanie and Barbie. Silly but fun. Your guy looks a little majestic, are you a history buff? I think you should think royal when you think of a name. Good luck. Sam ~~~~~:~

SilverTongue
07-14-2002, 03:55 AM
I would actually lean more twards a egyption name :)

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
07-14-2002, 09:14 PM
SilverTongue
There was a woman on the old forum who had six corns all with Egyptian names, I think her name was Cheryl. I remember because Dr. Mike said she now had an Egyptian six pack and that stuck in my mind. What are the nanes that you have given yours? ~~~~~~~:~ Sam

SilverTongue
07-14-2002, 11:48 PM
hehe well I told my 5yr old daughter that if she would hold the snake for 5 min she could name it. and after several 3 second handelings hehe she finally got use to it and held it for atleast 5 min. She named her Slinka. :)

KNS
07-15-2002, 02:23 AM
Hi
I was just reading these replies when I noticed that some people said they put their heating pads under their snakes "homes".....?? I put mine directly in the tank under the substrate. Is that ok? or should I put it under the tank instead? I thought I was right before but this thread stumped me..:confused: Sorry if I came in too late but I dont' want to put the snakes in danger:)
Thanks

SilverTongue
07-15-2002, 02:33 AM
it depends. If you have a glass or plastic cage then you should put it under just to help dissapate the heat. And keep the reptile from getting burned. If you have a wood or wood-like cage then you would probably put it inside under the substrate. But you have to have a themometer that can controll the tempature in there because sometimes snakes get so confertable in their sleep they dont realize they are being baked to a crisp. Just make sure you have something to watch and regulate the tempature and you should be ok. I wouldnt mist the hot side either because you will create hot steam which can burn also.