PDA

View Full Version : Just a thaught! A *chat*!?

Just a thaught! A *chat*!?

LindsayMarie
07-12-2002, 01:21 PM
I was thinking, this site always has people browsing it! Its probably one of the best forums about corn snakes out there! Why not add a basic chat program to this site? It doesnt mean that Rich would have to be constantly logged on and moderating! It would just allow all the people of this site to be able to sit and chat to people more "directly". Just an idea! I am new and this subject might have already been brought up, if so I am sorry :) What does everyone else think about it? I think it would be fun.

kenalotia
07-12-2002, 02:45 PM
A chat sounds kind of fun. I don't know if this forum software will allow a chat, though. Rich, is it possible?

SilverTongue
07-12-2002, 02:48 PM
I have been working on getting a chatroom bot for us to keep the room open. I do not know if it is possible to to actually add it to this forum. But if that is possible then i would not need a bot. There are always someone either guest or otherwise on in the forum. LoL But I think most of you all fall asleep. Or are very and i mean VERY VERY slow readers! hehe :) If that is the case then a chat room is definatly too much too soon perhaps a kindergarden jumpstart program?? hehe :)

kenalotia
07-12-2002, 03:23 PM
Actually, this forum says that people are still logged on well after they've logged off. I know this, because of a computer I used to use at work. Ever time I closed my browser, it (kinda) logged me off. Or anyway, if I opened the browser again and came back here, I had to log on again. But even though I wasn't logged on when I first got back - and I know I wasn't, because it didn't say Welcome, kenalotia! at the top but instead said something about registering - it still listed my name at the bottom with users logged on. This occurred several times. So I think that a lot of the users it lists have probably logged off already.

Rich Z
07-12-2002, 06:13 PM
Personally, I would not be inclined to add a chat room here. The whole purpose of me providing this forum space was so that people could exchange thoughts and ideas, and they would REMAIN here for new users to look up and gain some knowledge without asking the same questions over and over again every year. Especially so in the case of all of the emails I get where I point them to this forum for sources of the answers to the questions I always get. Kind of like a living FAQ page.

A chat room would defeat this purpose.

Besides, I have quite enough to keep me busy, so I'm not about to add yet another thing onto my plate.

Rhoman
07-12-2002, 08:24 PM
Chatrooms out there. Even a recent one opened up that has a room constantly dedicated to corns. But I have noticed with chat rooms is that there is hardly ever anyone on them half the week. And when people are on they get off topic almost instantly. Chat rooms can also be dangerous especially without a moderator. So my opinion is to not add a chat, rich already does enough so let's not ask to much of him. There are plenty of other options out there.
Rhoman

LindsayMarie
07-13-2002, 12:56 AM
to upset anyone! It was just an idea. I wasnt implying that Rich needed to do more then he already has with his site. Like I said, I was just throwing around an idea that I thought people would enjoy. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way :( Take care, Lindsay

SilverTongue
07-13-2002, 02:44 AM
well i am not upset but it is not up to me alone