PDA

View Full Version : how to feed?

how to feed?

sXe_corn_sXe
10-02-2004, 06:57 PM
hi, i am feeding my new baby corn for the first time and i put her in a plastic deli cup in with the live pinky and she didnt even act like it was there... i had to leave so i took her out and put her back in her cage.
So then i put it in the freezer and i havnt tried anything else yet, so what should i do? and how do i thaw it out to room temp?

jlanucha
10-02-2004, 07:03 PM
You can thaw the frozen pinkie in warm water, on a tray or paper plate. Whatever you do just make sure the mouse is completely thawed. Good luck with the feeding.

sXe_corn_sXe
10-02-2004, 07:13 PM
so should just i leave it in a deli cup with her? and if so, how long should i leave her in there?

jlanucha
10-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Leave it and her alone, undisturbed for at least an hour. Make sure the deli cup has airholes. Check every hour or so. If she still hasn't eaten you can leave her overnight with the pinkie in the deli cup. Try this before any more drastic measures. Hadshe eaten before you got her?

sXe_corn_sXe
10-02-2004, 07:33 PM
yes, the breeder said that she should eat f/t or live with no problem, so i hope that she is right.

jlanucha
10-02-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm sure she is right. Just leave her in the deli cup for a while and she should eat. If not post another message later. Someone is bound to help. Good luck kiddo

sXe_corn_sXe
10-02-2004, 07:38 PM
thanks, but how do i make sure that it is totaly thawd out?

jlanucha
10-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Leave it in warm water for 10 to 15 mins to be sure. Pinkies are so little it doesn't take very long.

Adam & Eve
10-02-2004, 07:52 PM
I coax heasitant feeders by soaking the mouse thouroughly in warm water(I use pre-killed mice), picking it up, lowering it into the snake, and twitching it and teasing it with it. The snake soon strikes either out of curiosity or anger at the object it is being teased with.

Adam & Eve
10-02-2004, 07:53 PM
the corn snake manual also shows some wonderful ways to convince a picky snake. (it's by Bill and Kathy Love) :)

jlanucha
10-02-2004, 07:55 PM
That is the exact book I use and I have eight healthy corns!

jlanucha
10-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Let us know how things go! :wavey:

sXe_corn_sXe
10-02-2004, 10:18 PM
well the pink has been in there for abot two haours and my little girl isnt even acting like it is there, wont the mouse go bad after a while?

and the person i got her from said that she should eat no problome but she isnt eating.

sXe_corn_sXe
10-02-2004, 10:21 PM
and i only bought one pinky, so should i re-freez it and trie again tomorrow?

cuz our pet store isnt open tomorrow. and the pink looks grose, it looks like it is starting to get a hole in its chest. i dropped it on its head like 5 times before i froze it because i though it would be better than just freezing it alive and it looks like it might have blead internaly.

CAV
10-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Leave the pinky in with the snake ove night. Place the deli cup in a cabinet and shut the door. Remember that corns are most active at night.

Didn't you just get the snake a few days ago? I usually wait a week before feeding new arrivals. That little guy has been through alot recently and is pretty disoriented. If it doesn't eat tonight, try again in 7 days.

sXe_corn_sXe
10-03-2004, 01:55 PM
well... i left it in there over night and she didnt touch it.
I guess i will try again in a couple days. why 7 days?

CAV
10-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Snakes don't eat every day like mammals. 5-7 day is the normal period between meals in a captive environment. Since your snake is newly arrived and still settling in to it's new home, I'd go with the 7-day plan.