PDA

View Full Version : Didn't eat it

Didn't eat it

JasonS
10-08-2004, 01:25 PM
I offered a fresh killed rat to my snake last night and she did the whole grab and coil like she always does (I guess the twitching makes her think it is still alive), but she didn't eat it. I left her in her feeding container over night with the rat in hopes that she would but when I got up this morning the rat was still there. Should this be of concern? How long before I should offer another? And Clarice (her name, "Silence of the Lambs" lol) is about 40 inches, what is everbody feeding theirs that are that size? Thanks guys!

moreptiles
10-08-2004, 01:29 PM
It is not uncommon for some snakes to do this. They have the instinct to constrict and kill the prey whether or not they want to eat it. Usually this happens when they are about to shed.

Since you are feeding rats, has this been the normal food for the snake? If you have been feeding mice and are now switching to rats, that could be the reason for not eating it.

Mark

pcar
10-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Guess that I got to this one a little late...you beat me by about 4 minutes Mark...

If your snake has refused to eat, then wait about 5 to 7 days to offer again. You don't want to iduce a refuse all the time reaction.

Skye
10-08-2004, 02:02 PM
I feed adult mice to mine that size.

CAV
10-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Yep. Adult mice for me too.

pcar
10-08-2004, 02:17 PM
I feed mice too. haven't looked into rats yet.

WAS1
10-08-2004, 02:29 PM
I have a female Baird`s rat that does this.
Grabs, constricts then lets go, and mouse is still there hours later.
She did this just the other day, now she has blue eye.
It does always seem to happen as theyre about to go thru shed cycle.
Of course all snakes are different. My Jungle eats whether shes going thru shed or not.

JasonS
10-08-2004, 02:43 PM
I have fed her small rats about 5 times now and this the first time that I have had a problem. But I am thinking of going with mice just because I don't have to worry about the size, right now I have to get the smallest rats possible. Do you offer two large mice at a time or just one?

CAV
10-08-2004, 02:46 PM
I depends on the snake. Some eat one, some eat two. It also depends on their age, feeding frequency, and "girth". :)

pcar
10-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Do you offer two large mice at a time or just one?

I depends on the snake. Some eat one, some eat two. It also depends on their age, feeding frequency, and "girth".

Well, I have two 3 year olds between 35" and 40" long. Male Snow, and Female Okeetee. They both started on Adult mice about 3 or 4 months ago. Feeding every 10 days now. Both eat 2 adults if offered. I don't do this often, but probably will right before and right after breeding season for the female. (Will probably decrease the amount of time between feedings for the female too after she lays eggs.)

I have heard some snakes will only eat one mouse, even if offered two. Just offer and see what happens.

Skye
10-08-2004, 04:22 PM
it depends on the size of the mouse, the size of the snake and the time of year. Males only get one ever but females can get more around breeding time both in the run up to laying eggs and afterwards to recover some of the weight lost. It also depends on the size of the mouse because even with adult mice there can be quite a difference fro a fairly young adult to a retired breeder for example.
As a rule I weigh all my adult snakes every two weeks and I base their food intake on their weight gain or loss. I prefer to offer one mouse a week rather than two mice every two weeks if I have the option as it puts less stress on the digestive system.