• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding and feeding

JeanH

Ok, I have had my 2 corns for about 3 weeks now. I have them eating 1 pinkie each every 3-5 days. The first two feedings were live, that's what the petstore had. The last time they ate was Sunday and it was a F/T the petstore was out of live ones. I went to a different petstore tonight and they only had live ones so I bought two. I was going to see if they would take the 2 pinkies. Now my female ate one right away, so I stuck the other one in the feeding container. I left her in her feeding box for about 15 mins. She ignored the pinkie and just wanted out. So I put her back in her viv. Should I try the pinky again in couple of days? Or wait the 5 days to feed again? Oh she's about 12 inches.

The male is about 10 inches. I put him in and he has completly ignored the pinkie. He also seemed jumpy. So I did some searching here and I'm wondering if he might be getting ready to shed. His eyes do have a blueish tint certain ways I look at him. He's right now in his feeding container with the pinkie. How long should I leave him there? And do they tend not to eat during shedding? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything.

Sorry this is so long, I'd rather give you lots of details. Now I'm stuck with 3 pinkies that I know I'm going to have to kill and freeze. Working up the courage to do it. I hate the thought of putting them in the freezer alive but I hate even more having to stun them first. Even though I know its more humane. Ok I'm babbling... lol!

Thanks!!!

Jean

It depends on the snake about being in shed and not wanting to eat. I have one that eats in shed and the other won't touch food. But she is a hog any other time.

If you think your snake is in shed then wait until it sheds then try feeding. If you say you have had it for 3 weeks now it's due for a shed about now. So stick with your hunch on her not eating because of being in shed.

Leaving your snake in the feeding viv to see if it will eat, a couple of hours is good, even over night if you feed before you go to bed.

I would wait for the 5 days to feed again for your female. You offered her two, she only wanted to eat one and did so. She now needs time to digest that meal before you offer her the next meal.

I leave non-feeders (meaning any that don't eat immediately) in overnight with the meal, and remove the food in the morning if it isn't eaten by then. Make sure the feeding tub is not somewhere cold, and is not escapable from.

If you can do it - stunning, or death by blunt trauma to the head is certainly much more humane.

Thank you! I put her back in the tank. Of course they had a kinda new viv to play in. I bought the reptibark and they were loving it. Before I only had the carpet in there. They kept burrowing and popping up. Boy she was active for about 20 mins. Then settled down. I'll feed her again in 5 days.

The male loved the Reptibark too. He was doing the same thing. I kept him in his feeding container for about two hours before giving up. I'll try him again tonight and if he doesn't want it I'll wait the 5 days. And feed him with her.

I hated doing it but I gave them each a swift blow and then put them in the freezer. I think I'm going to buy the frozen bulk. I do not want to do that again, if I can help it. We have a place that is close and vaccum seals. My only concerned with buying bulk is a friend of mine's wouldn't eat and she tried a fresh frozen one and it ate. The pet shop said her bag might be freezer burned.

Thanks again!
Jean

Buying frozen in bulk is a good idea in that it saves you the agony of having to kill them yourself, and you have some in stock even if the local store sells out. It is also cheaper to buy this way.

I'll wait the 5 days. And feed him with her.

I assume that you mean you'll feed him at the same time as her, and not actually *with* her. I am sure you have seen plenty of threads on the board of the importance of feeding seperately.

It must have been great to see them explore in the new viv!

Yes, I mean feed them on the same day, not in the same container. But thank you for the warning!

It was cool. That's really the first time I've seen them so active. I get up at 4 am so I don't get many late nights to watch them.

Jean

4 am?? ouch - what do you do? I don't think I could get up that early if you paid me

Back