PDA

View Full Version : Worried

Worried

Jicin
10-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I'm starting to get really worried about my new bloodred (13 months). He *still* hasn't pooped. Except on the first day i had him. I will bathe him to see if i can losen up things. May even visit the vet again.

Question, when i lifted his tail to take a peek i saw a tiny drop of liquid coming out. It didn't smell at all. I quickly put her down (He's gonna explode! LoL). He crawel away. I did see the 'vent' (Correct english word?) open and close once before he moved out of sight.

Is that normal?

Jicin
10-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Bathing helped. That is one relieved snake i got here right now :D

Azruial
10-13-2004, 04:31 PM
I still don't understand the concept of "bathing" a snake. Can you explain?

Jicin
10-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Yeah. Makes them go to the bathroom :)

I think i purchached my corn 2 1/2 weeks ago. And has eaten 1 small, 1 medium and 1 large meal. His rear end seemed thick and it seemed to be a bit warmer to the touch.

Also, i like the exercise it gives them. But i don't really give them a bath just for that.

pcar
10-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Hope that I am not intruding, but bathing a corn will also help the snake to rehydrate, lose unshed skin. Warm water will also help the muscles to relax, thus causing the snake to go to the bathroom. And, like Jicin said, it is a good way for the snake to get exercise.

Jicin
10-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Just not *to* warm ;) It must feel slighly cold at the touch. Otherwise it would be way to warm for the snake.

pcar
10-13-2004, 04:41 PM
thanks for the correction....and you might want to use a thermometer just to be sure so that you don't "feel" wrongly

Jicin
10-13-2004, 04:56 PM
I use my elbow. That's a good way to test. Your hands can indeed fool you and make it warmer/colder then it really is. Also, keep watching your snake. If it's frantically trying to get out, it may be to warm. Though i guess you can't go wrong with a thermometer

Azruial
10-13-2004, 05:01 PM
so, you just make a shallow tub of water and drop the snake in?

pcar
10-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Well, I would be a little more gentle than just dropping the snake in. And, you need to stay there as the snake may not like being in water and will try and get out.

Flygning
10-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I have to bathe my adult snake every time I handle him or else he will crap on me and I don't want that. Some people don't think bathing is neccessary, but either he gets a bath or I seriously need one!

Azruial
10-13-2004, 08:29 PM
mine seems to hate water, I never tried giving he a bath, but she got herself into her water bowl once, and I've never seen her move so fast as she did getting out of there, and afterwards, she had substrate all over her so I dried her off. Was this a good idea?

Jicin
10-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Well, *i* don't like to fall in the pond for one :D I dry all my snakes off. I don't want them catch a cold.

I've only seen my snake go into the waterbowl once. And she was more sliding through it.

My small ones i bath in the kitching sink. Though i disinfect it before and after use. My bloodred i gave a bath in a simple plastic box. Filled it with water, not deep, and put the lid on. She didn't seem to mind to much. The first minute she didn't do anything at all. My small ones calm down after a bit when they realise there not going to drown.

Kel
10-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Don't know if it helps, but I usually put the water & container into the viv/tank for a couple of hours before bathing the snake. That gets it to the temperature that the snake is already used to.

pcar
10-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Don't know if it helps, but I usually put the water & container into the viv/tank for a couple of hours before bathing the snake. That gets it to the temperature that the snake is already used to.

Makes sense. Thanks for the idea.

Azruial
10-14-2004, 04:23 PM
thanks, I guess I'll see if She goes for the idea

pcar
10-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Never hurts to try.

I now that my female okeetee loves the water, while my male snow hates it.