PDA

View Full Version : temperture for bath water?

temperture for bath water?

Snakemommy
10-13-2004, 04:53 PM
My little boy hasn't shed yet, the humidity is 60% in the tank today and he's still in his humid hide (with his little head poking out) The breeder said I could give him a "dip" in a few days if he hadn't shed but I've been putting it off so I wouldn't stress him. I'm afraid I'll either make the water to cold or warm.

pcar
10-13-2004, 05:00 PM
you probably want it to be somewhere between 80 and 85 degrees. This will feel slightly cool to your touch (Use your elbow or a thermometer).

Hope everything turns out ok.

CAV
10-13-2004, 05:18 PM
SM, I not directing this at you specifically and I apologize up front if I come off too harsh. This is one of my biggest husbandry pet peeves.

Unless your snake needs help shedding (which you won't know until after at least a shed or two is past) why bath it? Snakes don't need it and most don't like it, especially new arrivals that are already prone to stress.

Here is the reality of shedding: If conditions are correct, shedding is rarely ever an issue. >95% of all shed troubles are husbandry related. There are literally volumes of info on this forum regarding treatments for a problem that rarely exists; unless you're living in Arizona or using sand for a substrate. ;)

Snakes have been living, thriving, and shedding for millennia before we ever started bathing them. :)

Snakemommy
10-13-2004, 05:26 PM
I just want to make sure I do everything right for this little guy which is why I asked about bathing him and I really want to Thank you guys for your help since I don't have any experience with reptiles. :)

pcar
10-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Your welcome. And don't mind CAV. He can sometimes sound like a butt, but he is a very good guy, and very knowledgable. I actually have had the pleasure of meeting him in person and enjoyed his company.