PDA

View Full Version : My Bad Luck!

My Bad Luck!

Godzilla2000
10-14-2004, 10:20 AM
The two male mice I had hoped to use as breeders just mauled each other out of the blue a few days ago killing each other. And there wasn't any females in the tank with them either. Did I like do something wrong or what? Maybe I should stick with frozen prey?

Flygning
10-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Well, I have never bred my own mice, but I would think keeping two males together at all isn't the best thing. They're probably pretty territorial.

Godzilla2000
10-14-2004, 10:51 AM
I guess. But the issue would be if keeping a male and female, there's bound to be more baby males in there so I guess it's a Catch 22 situation. I guess I'll stick to purchasing prey at the local petshop. At least I know I won't have to be cleaning up a dozen mauled carcasses each week from the ten gallon tank. I think I'll use it for one of my snakes.

Flygning
10-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Just from reading posts on this forum, I've learned that mother mice eat their babies, but I've never heard of male mice mauling their offspring. As long as the babies are, well, babies, I don't think you'd have a problem with that. However, I agree...I think buying mice already frozen is much easier. Good luck if you do decide to keep trying with breeding your own.

madamwlf
10-14-2004, 11:47 AM
I raise my own mice for our snakes. Never house two Mature males together. They will eventually kill each other. Now males and their offspring are fine. The way I have my breeders set up I have one male to 4 females. None of the babies make it past late fuzzy stage anyway. But if they do, once they are weened they should be removed from the cage. Don't want dad knocking up the little girls. And yes, the mom will eat her babies. If food isn't proved for them all the time they will resort to eating their young for food. Hope that helps some.

Jeannie