PDA

View Full Version : Incubators

Incubators

snakemanone
07-14-2002, 12:46 PM
Hiya all.

I went to my local aquairium centre and persuaded the guy there to give me one of their transport boxes, these are made from polystyrene and come with a tight fitting lid, i placed a thick wire grid about half way up on the inside, enough water to cover an old fishtank heater and powerhead pump(to circulate water)set thermostat on heater to 30 degrees cut a hole in top and silicon a veiwing window in lid,result is a constant 88-94 temp and near 100 per cent humidity,shall post pics as soon as i get the film developed.(dont own a digital camara).

...........................STEVE.

Hope this is of help to someone.

CornCrazy
07-15-2002, 05:19 PM
Certainly! We'd love to see pics after you get some!

Jr Nimeskern
07-16-2002, 11:53 PM
thanks for the tip on the incubator... does anyone know any other way to make incubators??? im very curious...

kenster
07-17-2002, 01:53 AM
hey abell, I used to raise pheasants and have 3 of those incubators. Worked great for the pheasant eggs. If you don't mind my asking, what did you put inside the incubator? as in a medium for the eggs? and what temp did you set it to? I really am hoping to get some eggs next summer from my albino x zig zag het for albino. Just want to get an idea what I am in store for. thanks for your help....

abell82
07-17-2002, 08:13 PM
I first raided my kitchen cupboard and stole a rubbermaid container suitable to hold all of my eggs(try to do this when the wife is not home,it does not make them happy)I then drilled 9 air holes in the lid,filled it with vermiculite put in the eggs,put in a little more vermiculite added some water and set it in the incubator.I had the incubator set at 80 degrees the actual temp in the rubbermaid container was like 82 degrees,though.I checked the water every three or four days it is kind of dry here. Fifty two days later I had five out of six eggs hatch!The incubator is said to have hot spots in them and lets drafts in through the air hole in the top I did not notice any problems here, however I was careful to always put it back in the same spot.