PDA

View Full Version : what two corns would you have to breed to get . . .

what two corns would you have to breed to get . . .

kris (UK)
07-14-2002, 12:50 PM
an amelanistic stirped corn ? ? ? ?

thanks!!

KRISTIAN

Hurley
07-14-2002, 01:22 PM
To get an amelanistic striped corn, both parents must be carrying at least one amel gene and at least one striped gene at the motley location.

Any combination of the following has the potential to give striped amels in varying ratios:

Striped Amel
Striped het for amel
Amel het striped
Motley stripe amel
Motley stripe het for amel
Normal het amel and striped

kris (UK)
07-14-2002, 03:40 PM
thank-you!! :D

Iris
07-15-2002, 01:21 AM
Ok so I have a normal stripe (m) with no known hets and a regular amel (f) with no known hets. If I crossed them, the F1's would be all normals het amel and het stripe? Is that right? Would they look like normal corns?
And then if I crossed the F1's in the F2 generation I would have a small chance of getting an amelanistic stripe?
Is this right?
Help! Anyone?

jim
07-15-2002, 08:03 AM
iris,
the F1 woud be all normal-loking double hets and the F2 would give you 1/16 striped amels. :) ---jim

kris (UK)
07-15-2002, 11:01 AM
what does HET mean ? ? ? i have wondered that for a long time but i have never asked anyone, and what is all this F1 & F2 thingy ?!?!?! is there a website with a tutorial on it or something lol !!! sorry if i sound a bit thick!!

KRIS

Iris
07-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Well I kind of learned this stuff in Bio but if I tried to explain it I would mess it up sooooooo badly.
Here is a link to the Genetics section of Serpwidget's website.
http://serpwidgets.com/cornsnakes/Genetics/genetics.html
It helps if you know a little bit of basic genetics so you can follow along more easily but even if you don't he explains everything really well.

Thanks Jim. A 1/16 chance? Sounds kinda slim...I'd probably be better off just buying an amel stripe but since I'm planning on breeding these two in the future anyway....
Plus I'd love to see what kind of normals I'd get in the F1.
:)