• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Burnt Snake! HELP...

Herpsonline

Basically a corn snake from work was burnt on a tubular heater, a couple of months ago now, after he'd managed to escape from his viv. The burns were quite bad, and did seem to be healing ok, until now.
I checked him over and where the dead skin is its cracked and under it was very deep, so myself and another member of staff took him to the vets, and they gave us some Surgical scrub to put on the wound twice a day and oviously keep his viv etc clean.
So i decided to bring him home for some TLC, as at work its not the best conditions and at home i know he can get better and i can keep an eye on him.
I've been putting Aloe Vera on the burn's and have injected 1ml of Aloe Vera juice into a mouse, which he will hopefully eat.
So really what i wanted to know is if anyone else has had corns burnt and if they have got any tips, to help make it easier on the snake?
Ill get some pictures of the burns up A.S.A.P

Thanks in advanced.

If you want to give extra help to your snakes healing process, if you can get a hold of some grapefriut seed extract and give your snake a bath you can lessen chances of bacterial build up, or add a few drops of Tea Tree oil. Both are good for the skin, and have alot healing properties to them that are safe for reptiles.

For example they have anti fungel, anti microbal properties, many more as well but I don't feel like listing them all. :)

Umm... I'm not sure cornsnakes are meant to ingest aloe vera. Did your vet tell you to do this? It is toxic to dogs and cats when ingested, although I'm not sure about reptiles. Usually aloe vera is only used topically for burns, not internally, although I've heard of people ingesting it to relieve heartburn and whatnot. Just out of curiosity, what kind of surgical scrub did they give you, and did they give the snake any antibiotics? I'm sure the vet already told you this, but you should probably keep the snake on paper towels or newspaper until the wound heals.

Aloe vera is safe for bearded dragons that I know, and I can see for cornsnakes too. I am very much in to alternative Medicine when it comes to my reptiles.

Cornsnakes.. well if his vet told him to do it, he obviously knows what he is doing. :)

Aloe Vera contains Anthraquinones, which act as a powerful purgative and laxative but are also analgesic and anti-microbial in action. It is the Anthraquinones that help in the control of streptococcus; TB, Ringworm and yeast based infections such as Candida Albicans.

URL http://home.comcast.net/~holachapulin/Alternative.html

I'm a firm believer in a particular product that I have seen do wonders. The product is called DermaClens and is made by Pfizer. Your vet should be able to obtain it from just about any of the distributors (doesn't have to come direct from Pfizer). It is a topical ointment that I've used to simulate "artificial skin". Let me describe 2 cases where I've seen it work magic...

Case 1: Morning dove had all the skin removed from the top of it's head...just bare skull showing. Birds are not known to granulate skin very well to heal large wounds like this, and having the skull exposed in any species is dangerous. I applied a thick layer of DermaClens to the wound, and kept re-applying it daily. Whenever the wound was "cleaned", which was done only every few days, some ointment was always left...cleaning never went down to total flesh/bone. The wound granulated in fairly rapidly, feathers actually returned to most of the dove's head and the bird was eventually successfully released back into the wild.

Case 2: Semi-domestic peafowl (hen) with a compound fracture to the upper femur. The attending vet said surgical repair would not be effective and recommended euthanasia. The staff disagreed. We kept the hen in a small enclosure to minimize use of the injured leg, initially thoroughly cleaned the wound, and applied a thick layer of DermaClens. Maintainance was the same as with the dove. The wound healed extremely well, the bones mended as best they could without being set, and the bird is still alive today and only has a minor limp.

I've used DermaClens for burns on myself and family with excellent results. I would highly recommend this product. Use it liberally on your snake, don't wash it entirely off, and let nature do the rest.

Pure aloe is not toxic for dogs. My homeopathic book suggests putting it in food, although I only did it for a short while. It is 100% pure food grade aloe though, nothing in it but the aloe juice. In large quantities it works like a laxitive though.

Well, aloe certainly wont kill dogs, and I can see how it would act as a laxative. If they eat too much it tends to cause diarreah, vomiting, depression, anorexia, etc. And like Susan says, it can do wonders when used topically. But like I said before, I have no idea what it would do in a reptile, thats why I was asking about whether or not his vet had recomended putting it in his snakes food. If it helps, that would be a useful thing to know.

Back