PDA

View Full Version : Question ... shedding and eating.....help!

Question ... shedding and eating.....help!

dannimari
10-31-2004, 06:37 AM
I bought a baby? cornsnake for my son last week. It is about 12 in. long. Last Sunday it ate a pinky without any trouble. This was the first time we fed it.

I expected it would be hungry again in three days, but it wasn't interested on Wednesday. Since then it has quieted down quite a bit and its eyes are getting cloudy. It seems to have the first symtoms of shedding....but I am not sure. It still won't eat (we tried again last night).

Can anyone tell me how I can tell the difference between shedding behavior and illness? SHould I take the snake to the vet???

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike & Danny

WhiteLips
10-31-2004, 07:27 AM
Sounds like it is going to shed- sometimes they look pretty awful! :( Many snakes refuse food before they shed, and they withdraw because they can't see too well with their eyes clouded over & their skin is more sensitive. I will check on my snakes during this time- but I only handle them if I have to- Good Luck! :)
PS- he should be hungry after he's done shedding!

dannimari
10-31-2004, 11:17 AM
thanks very much!

how long does shedding take?

My snake hasnt eaten in a week. Is this normal until shedding is complete?

Thanks, again

WhiteLips
10-31-2004, 12:19 PM
From start to finish the shedding process can take a week or so, usually they will eat after it's all over. Only one of my snakes will eat when he is "blue"- but then he eats everything! :)

Spirit
10-31-2004, 02:31 PM
3 days is pretty soon to feed again. Once a week is fine, every 5 days is good too if he seems hungry. Feeding too often results is growing too fast, which can result in health complication and a shortened life span. And of course there's the "no handling for 48 hours after feeding" rule to avoid regurg (and of course you want handling time to tame your snake too).

If he's about to shed, he might not want to eat until he's done anyway... but chances are he will be hungry afterwards, so my advice would be to just wait it out. :)

Symptoms of shedding start with the cloudy eyes (blue phase) and ugly looking skin. They can get moody during this time, and it should last maybe 2 days. The eyes clear up and the skin returns to normal, then it can take 2-7 more days for the shed to happen. I think average is 3-4.

Jimmy Johnson
10-31-2004, 02:45 PM
I think Sprit just about summed it up.

Every 3 days seems a little too often to feed.
I personally feed all of my snakes once a week but a lot of people will feed every 5 to 7 days when it is a hatchling.
Now that you know the snake is going into shed just wait until it has shed before trying to feed it again.
It will be fine!
Like Spirit mentioned, your snake will cloud up, then clear up and look normal again and THEN it will take several days for it to shed.

dannimari
10-31-2004, 08:19 PM
I really appreciate the encouraging advise from everyone.

Thanks!

Mandarino
11-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Hello,
First what I would do is lookin online and find anything you can about c.s. but when they shed they are growing, two they can eat and still be shedding, three i feed my one a week, that is what you should be doing! Umm, question do you watch them eat, we put ours in a brown paper bag to eat.

charcoal_mots
05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
I only left my corn alone to eat when it was a hatchling. I put her in a tuppaware dish with a lid and a pinkie and closed the closet door, checking every five minutes. Then I had the door open. Then I took her out of the closet. Now I just stand and watch her constrinct her mice. She is a year old now.

PtDnsr
05-09-2005, 06:22 PM
This is the third old post that I have found that you've replied to. Is there a reason for bringing this many old posts up to the top again?

~Katie