PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with her?

What's wrong with her?

sli.
11-03-2004, 06:27 AM
Hey everyone, I am new to this site, but u all seem to know ur cornsnakes rather well... I breed them very succesfully, year after year, but I have never come across this... My one female is gravid, I felt her last night, and there are deffinately some eggs in there, but the rest of her body is getting very thin, she eats more than all of my other gravid females and still just keeps getting thinner, I have been supplimenting her food with Repti-med, and this has not helped at all, her lower half where the eggs are, is stretched a little, but not much, but otherwise she doesn't look fat like my others, any advice or comments would be greatly appriciated! Thanks :shrugs:

Skye
11-03-2004, 06:46 AM
are you sure it is eggs and not fecal pelleted matter inside her that she is unable to pass?
is she still pooping normally?
is this her first clutch for the year, and if so when did she breed, or how many other clutches has she laid this year?
what are her temps?
have you ever had a fecal examination done on her - eating and losing weight can often be a sign of internal parasites?
is she housed alone ?

sli.
11-03-2004, 06:55 AM
Hey there, yeah she is housed alone, she still passes here food normally, I havent had a fecal exam done, and yeah, I'm pretty sure they are eggs. This is her first clutch for the year.
I was thinking it may be parasites, but I don't see how it would be possible, but you never know... Her temps are averaging 28degs on the hot side, which I have the same with all my others, and they are fine,, should I raise hers?

Skye
11-03-2004, 07:03 AM
Being housed alone and passing normally cuts out a few options. 28 should be fine for a hot side, I wouldn't see a need to change that.
Do you know what her weight is, and how it has changed recently?
My recommendation would be to get a fecal done - this is pretty inexpensive at most vets - since an overload of internal parasites can prevent the snake from benefitting from the nutrients of the food you are providing.
Often parasites can be present in low levels and they only multiply and cause problems at times of stress such as unfavorable group housing, other illness/injury or egg-laying.
I am assuming that you have a laying box in there ready for her? You didn't say when she was mated?

sli.
11-03-2004, 07:12 AM
She was mated about 5 weeks ago, she is going into the blue now, So I will be putting in a nest box Tonight, I weighed her last night, She is 220g, she has gone down from 240g... I will definately look into having a fecal done soon!

Skye
11-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Good luck with her. She is quite small. What morph is she? Is this the first year she has laid?
Let us know what the fecal comes back as, and I hope she lays easily and soon to allow herself a good smooth recovery process. Definitely don't mate her again this year, and feed her up really well after laying.

sli.
11-08-2004, 05:54 AM
I took her to the vet this morning, She has serious parasites and some other disease I cant pronounce or spell, We flushed her and she is now on anti-biotics, we scanned her, and her eggs have been badly effected from the parasites so she probably won't lay any fertile eggs. she is a miami corn so 1.3m and 240grams is quite big for her. thanks for all ur help!

Jicin
11-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Awk. That's bad news :/ I hope your other snakes aren't infected.

I do wonder what disease. Can you look it up together with the treatment? I'm rather interested. What's flushing?