PDA

View Full Version : still wont eat!!!???

still wont eat!!!???

sXe_corn_sXe
11-04-2004, 10:51 AM
my baby corn still wont eat! i dont know why cuz the person i got her from said that she should eat with no problem at all, and i have tried like 6 times!

i have tried 1:live 2:F/T 3: fresh killed 4: scenting with an anole 5: braining the pinky 6: leaving in a delie cup over night in a dark closet 7: making it warmer in the cage, and that is all so far but i dont know what to do.

i have waited a week or more in between each try, and i keep the temps at 78-85 warm and 70- 75 and a couple days ago my mom acsedentaly triped over one of the cords and the cage fell from like 4 feet, but she(snake) was fine but im afraid she is never gonna eat now.

guitrage
11-04-2004, 11:35 AM
How much are you handling her? I've heard that babies that are handled too much (too much doesn't necessarily mean a lot) can be over-stressed and refuse to eat. That might not be it, but it's something to take into consideration.

Good luck with her, and keep us posted!

WAS1
11-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Was she feeding when you got her?
Did the person have any feeding stats?
Is the environment you now keep her in totally different to what she`s used to?
Any changes at all can affect feeding.
Although I would say from my 2 batches of young this year, that a healthy, unstressed baby should eat with no problem at all.
Are you sure she hasn`t got rid of a non feeder on you?
If she seems fine, and unstressed, then just keep persevering.
If she drinking you could try vitamin drops in the water, so at least shes getting some nourishment.

Spirit
11-04-2004, 12:22 PM
my baby corn still wont eat! i dont know why cuz the person i got her from said that she should eat with no problem at all, and i have tried like 6 times!

i have tried 1:live 2:F/T 3: fresh killed 4: scenting with an anole 5: braining the pinky 6: leaving in a delie cup over night in a dark closet 7: making it warmer in the cage, and that is all so far but i dont know what to do.

i have waited a week or more in between each try, and i keep the temps at 78-85 warm and 70- 75 and a couple days ago my mom acsedentaly triped over one of the cords and the cage fell from like 4 feet, but she(snake) was fine but im afraid she is never gonna eat now.

It's been over SIX weeks since she ate?

How big is the tank, and what are the conditions (lots of hides)? How is her activity level when she's being handled?

sXe_corn_sXe
11-05-2004, 11:17 PM
i havnt hardly handled her at all since i got her and i have her in a small cage with lots of hides and fresh water. and it has been more like 7-8 weeks since she ate:( and the lady i got her from e-mails me back and stuff and she said that it ate good when she had it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/morningstar333/SeptOct04080.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/morningstar333/SeptOct04079.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/morningstar333/SeptOct04078.jpg

sXe_corn_sXe
11-05-2004, 11:19 PM
geez, sorry those are so big.

drizzt_19
11-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Here are a few tips...

Try using a chick to scent the pinkie...
Try feeding the anole itself...
Try using chicken broth...
Try using anole blood...
Try using chicken blood...

When you scent the pinkie with anything, be sure to wash it with water first to remove most of the mouse scent...If you are scenting with an anole, place the pinkie in a cup with the anole in a warm spot and lightly mist the cup...The water helps to transfer the scent from the anole to the pink...

Also it may be due to fact that your corn does not have much of a temp. gradient...With the light above the cage like that it warms the whole thing up...I have had corns that prefer to eat in cooler temps and move to the warmer temp's to digest...

HTH

guitrage
11-06-2004, 01:54 AM
:-offtopic I have that exact same ramekin in my snake's cage! :)

marg
11-06-2004, 02:17 AM
hiya sXe_corn_sXe :wavey:

Do you try to feed in the viv??
Is the viv in a 'high traffic area' kitchen etc?
The viv and area look very bright and exposed to me, I know its easier to see the corn this way but it could be stressful for it.
Maybe put a cardboard box or some cardboard round the sides and back to darken his viv a bit ??

Hope this helps.

thank you

MichaelBoyko
11-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Just don't get frustrated because as soon as he eats for you once you'll have a much easier time with it... sometimes certian snakes a little more patience and TLC than others.

Good luck!

Clint Boyer
11-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Here's what usually ends up working for me.

Thaw a pinkie, cut it into 2 pieces just behind the front legs, in the heart/lung area (not in the stomach area). Place either the front or back half in a deli cup with the snake. Leave them for awhile. Sometimes I'll even have to scent the pink with an anole just before cutting it.