PDA

View Full Version : Non Feeding corns

Non Feeding corns

madamwlf
11-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, does anyone have any non-feeding corns they are willing to sell really cheap to me??? I have a baby gray banded king I can not get to eat. New born pinkies are usually too big for him unless I have a fluke tiny one. Also, what species of rodent has the smallest new borns. I know there is one that is perfect for tiny snakes. Thanks.

Jeannie

MegF.
11-08-2004, 12:00 AM
I don't know. They can eat stuff that looks pretty big. My new hatchlings are the slenderest little things you've ever seen, but they easily down a pinky. Day old pinkies are pretty small. You might try that.

Jicin
11-08-2004, 06:13 AM
Hey guys, does anyone have any non-feeding corns they are willing to sell really cheap to me??? I have a baby gray banded king I can not get to eat.

Huh? As in to feed to the king snake?

drizzt_19
11-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Jicin,

I am pretty sure she means to use them to feed her kingsnake...Atleast until he is willing to accept pinks...

norbert03
11-08-2004, 09:45 AM
(s)he wants to buy non-feeding corns to...feed to a...non-feeding king? very odd!!! try an anole or house gecko if it won't take mice...or a snake steak sausage maybe. i wouldn't feed a snake to another snake, and if the snake you plan to use as food isn't eating it could be a sign of hidden health issues which could be passed onto the king.

cornsnake00
11-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Dwarf hamsters have small newborns.How long has it been since the snake ate?Has it ever eaten?

Amanda E
11-08-2004, 01:09 PM
See if you can get Pygmy mice. This person sells them:

www.critterconnection.cc

The pinkies are supposedly the size of a pencil eraser.

Another much easier thing to try is just to feed the head of a pinky. This has gotten my stubborn feeders to eat. That is unless your snake refuses dead prey.

norbert03
11-08-2004, 01:13 PM
they must be so cute.

madamwlf
11-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Yes I was going to feed the non feeding corns to my king snake. Kings do eat other snakes as part of their diet. And he is much smaller than most hatchling corns so a newborn pinkie is still at least twice as thick as he is. I've tried lizards and anoles as well. And feeding unwanted snakes to a king is not unusual at all. I know of some people on my yahoo groups who own kings just for that reason. To get rid of it ill and deformed corns. It's a part of life. Just like feeding mice to snakes. So it is not that crazy. He hasn't eaten in a month. He is a hatchling and has only eaten once since he has hatched. I'll try the pygmy mice and see what they do. Thanks.

norbert03
11-08-2004, 04:31 PM
i hope he eats soon.

Jicin
11-08-2004, 05:04 PM
I find that pretty rude. I don't go to a forum for mice lovers to request food for my snake. Some snakes just need a kickstart to understand here in captivety they need to eat food that they aren't ment to eat normally. Not imidiately tossed as other snake food.

Also, your contradicting yourself. You say it's good to get rid of 'ill and deformed snakes' (Deformed, oke i can understand that. I don't know why you want to risk your snakes health with feeding another ill snake) and apperantly non-feeders. However, your own snake it a non-feeder. Apperantly it doesn't even want to eat the food thats natural for them. I don't see the point.

drizzt_19
11-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Some snakes just need a kickstart to understand here in captivety they need to eat food that they aren't ment to eat normally.

Apperantly it doesn't even want to eat the food thats natural for them. I don't see the point.

Talk about contradiction...Looks like you are pretty good at it yourself...

Jicin,

I am not being rude, just trying to make a point...When I saw this thread last night, I knew it was only a matter of time before you jumped down someones throat about feeding cornsnakes to a kingsnake...I have a kingsnake here that I keep around for no other reason then to dispose of any kinked snakes naturally...Kingsnakes were destined to eat other snakes, that is part of their natural diet...

How do you feel about cornsnakes that refuse mice and only want anoles???Is it wrong to feed them anoles because they won't accept what you want them to eat???How do you know it doesn't want to eat the food that is natural for kingsnakes to eat???In the wild the main part of a kingsnakes diet is other snakes....That is where they get their name...

I also have a qeustion for you...If you love snakes so much that they need to be housed in large cages and allowed live as the would in nature itself, then why jump on someone else for doing the same thing...Madamwlf has tried everything but snakes to get this king to eat...She has decided that it is time to try the natural food source and she gets jumped for her decision...

As far as her coming here and asking for any non-feeders, I would have and have done the same thing...This late in the year most of us cornsnake breeders have tried everything to get our non-feeders to eat and most of us would probably be glad to give or sell them to anyone who wants them...

Atleast she was honest about why she wanted them...She could have just asked about them, and not said what she wanted them for...It really wouldn't have mattered then would it...So here you are slamming on someone just because they were being honest...

One thing you really need to think about, how would you like it if you were honest about something and all the sudden everyon starts slamming you , just because you wanted them to know what is going on...

Just my 0.02,

Gregg

Madamwlf,

Send me a p.m...I have a snake or two lying around that have not eaten in 4-5 mths and I was going to feed them to my king, but yours may like it more...

Gregg

Spirit
11-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Can you not feed a non-feeding king snake to another king? Just curious.

drizzt_19
11-08-2004, 06:34 PM
You can feed any snake to a kingsnake, if you want...I think Madamwlf just want's to keep this one...

madamwlf
11-08-2004, 07:11 PM
It's natural food is other snakes. And I've not tried other snakes yet. I care for all the animals in my house and do not wish to see one slowly starve to death. I have a duty as an owner to make sure my animals are well taken care of to the best of my abilities. He's still in decent shape and I would like to keep him that way. I'm going to try the spiny mice or dward hamsters but that will take time to breed them. Until then I need to do something for the little guy.

And no, he is not sick. He just isn't eating. Big difference!!! So since there are so many breeders out there I thought I would put the question out there instead of going to the pet store and buying a $40.00 meal for my King. You may call me rude but that's not how I see it.

jeannie

cornsnake00
11-10-2004, 07:45 PM
You can try a pinkie head.Take a frozen pinkie and cut the head off.Let the pinkie defrost.When the head is at room temp,take the head and use the snout to pry your snakes lip to get it into his mouth.Sometimes the snake will start chewing on the head till it is consumed.Sometimes it works sometimes not,but it's an attempt to get something in his belly.If you have other feeding hatchlings,they should eat the other half of your pinkie.

Good luck with your non-feeder
Larry

SnakeBreederInc
11-10-2004, 11:31 PM
King snakes also eat lizards. You might want to try finding some hatchling common lizards to feed him/her. They are a tad bit more expensive normally than regular pinkies. But if he/she wont eat the Hatchling lizard it wouldn't eat a snake either. All breeds of snakes except conda's can eat anything that is longer than 1 and 1/2 their size of the largest part of their body, and no larger than 1 and 3/4 of their largest part of their body. So like I said try feeding hatchling common lizards. :)