PDA

View Full Version : Storing frozen mice

Storing frozen mice

flatrock
11-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Freezer space is something I have a lot of, and the pet store that is close to my home keeps running out of frozen pinkies when I need more.

I've been buying them 10 at a time, because I'm concerned that they might get freezer burned if I keep them too long.

How long can you usually store frozen pinkies? Would one of those food saver vacuum things help keep them longer?

WhiteLips
11-11-2004, 11:20 AM
They should last about 6 to 8 months if stored properly, (minimal contact with air, in heavy plastic) - yes if sealed up could safely be stored longer but not longer than a year. I buy from rodent pro and buy about 6 month supply at a time- they deliver to your house and depending on how many you buy you can greatly reduce the cost of your rodents! I have it down to about 46 cents per rodent!
:)

Amanda E
11-11-2004, 06:17 PM
I've heard they can last for us to 3 years if vacuum sealed. With pinkies, they may go bad quicker, I've never had to keep those too long. I couldn't live without my vacuum sealer.

TBurkeIII
11-11-2004, 08:27 PM
i agree that the rodents can be kept for long periods of time. i find that they are more nutrient rich the fresher they are. but no harm will be done if they are kept for a long time in the freezer. and yes vacuum seal is always a good thing. that is how i keep my smaller rodents.