PDA

View Full Version : Hatchling shedding trouble

Hatchling shedding trouble

Buschjs
11-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Three of my four hatchlings currently are having trouble shedding. They still have some patches of skin that did not come off. I have misted the tank to keep the humidity up several times in the last few days, but this does not seem to be helping, they have been like this for 5-7 days depending on the individual. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Justin

Jynx
11-13-2004, 02:50 PM
might want to try some Shed-Ease then. I think Zoo med sells it. I can't remember. If they've been in high humidity long enough, its probably safe to go ahead and help them. If there is alot of resistance when you try to pull the shed off, then let them soak longer.

WhiteLips
11-13-2004, 03:10 PM
An easy inexpensive way, is to place them in a container rubbermaid or Tupperware) with wet paper towels, then place the container over your heat mat, make sure there are air holes in the container, also make sure there is not too much water- you don't want the snake to drown! as they move through the wet paper towels their skin should come off. This can take some time so make sure they are warm. This is what I do when my Green Tree Python Hatchling has a stuck shed :) It works very well & doen't stress out the snake. For my corn & rat snakes I give them a soak in tepid water 30-60 min, supervised- then let them slide through a soft towel, this also works well
Good Luck!