PDA

View Full Version : Shedding aids (spray)

Shedding aids (spray)

Spirit
11-13-2004, 03:01 PM
I found a full bottle of some sort of shedding aid by Herp Care (I THINK) at a local thrift shop yesterday. I WISH I could remember the exact name (I've been searching for 20 minutes now with no luck), but I'm pretty sure that's the brand name. It comes in a white box with a picture of (I think??) a gecko or lizard of some sort.

Anyway, it had the full instructions inside (spray snake and coat evenly, wait 15 minutes, etc.) but the box and label were SLIGHTLY yellowish. I'd guess it's a few years old... but does it ever go bad? Should I pick it up just incase? Are there any benefits of using a spray (probably some sort of mineral oil, I'm guessing) instead (or in conjunction with) a humid hide or soak in the bath?

It's probably only $1. lol

WhiteLips
11-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi Spirit!
The best fluid to assist a snake with a difficult shed is clean tepid water! I soak by two methods (depends on the snake) first are wet paper towels in a rubbermaid container as the snake moves through the wet paper towels the skin gently comes off (I use this method for my fragile & easily stressed snakes- Green Tree Pythons) for my Corns & Rats I simply soak them for 30-60 minutes in tepid water the skin usually comes right off. I third method for thin skinned pythons would be to create a sauna out of your bathroom for 45min this works pretty well but it makes for a steamy wet bathroom!
Hope this helps! :)

Spirit
11-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Soak for 30-60 minutes... :laugh: Yeah, NOT going to happen with my Max. The poor thing is TERRIFIED of water. Even though I do this everytime I handle him (to prevent him pooping on me), he just never seems to adjust to the water. He poops within seconds then screams "LEMME OUT!". lol

The only problem shed I had was when I bought him. He had a partial shed just days before. The new, and still slightly damp substrate fixed that right up. At any rate, I bought it. $1. Herpcare Shedding Aid. It's a spray. I'll probably never use it, but for $1, why not, right? Thanks for the reply though, whitelips. :)

So back to my original question... Does anyone know if this stuff DOES go bad? Or if there are any pros and cons of using it? Not that I ever will, but like I said... It cost a dollar.

MegF.
11-13-2004, 11:27 PM
I either spray the viv, or make a moist hide for them to go in. That usually does the trick

Spirit
11-14-2004, 03:33 AM
Thanks, but you're both missing my question. I'm asking about the product itself. :shrugs:

princess
11-14-2004, 04:52 AM
Nah, mother nature fugured out a great way to help snakes shed and you can recreate it at home with no trouble. I have a plastic box with coconut husk fibre in it that the snakes can dig and roll around in and the overwhelming majority of my snakes' sheds come off in one big sausage casing! The occasional one breaks in to two pieces and I even feel like a failure about that...then I see how some exotic pet stores have their animals and I feel like a pro again! PLEASSE PEOPLE -it's not that hard to give the right humidity. I also have live plants in the terarium to increase the humidity but make sure it's never wet and soggy in there. So the answer to your question is...all you need is water for moisture!
Adèle

MegF.
11-14-2004, 09:07 AM
I've never heard of the product if that's what you want to know, although I've never looked for a shedding aid before. I'll look at my local petstore next time and see if they have any. I would just use water though. It's safest, especially if you're not certain how old that stuff is.

TheExpert
11-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Shed-Ease?

That may be the product you are thinking of.

Another way that I don't think anyone mentioned, which has worked for me over the years, is put the snake in a damp pillowcase, with a damp, not wet, towel. Tie a knot in the pillowcase. As the snake tries to escape, it will rub against the damp towel. Leave him in there for 20 minutes or so, It should work for you, as it always works for me. Don't worry the snake will be able to breathe.

TheExpert

Spirit
11-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Well it cost a dollar so (if you read up) I bought it anyway. But what I want to know if it ever goes bad (most important) and if anyone's used it before (results?).

I know of other methods that work without fail. I will continue to use them all before resorting to using this.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002RJME6.01-A3FW8XJ8DMJ2HW.LZZZZZZZ.jpg