PDA

View Full Version : looking for my first snake

looking for my first snake

Angelina
07-17-2002, 08:40 PM
I have always been facinated with snakes, and think they are very beautiful. A year ago I had the opportunity to hold one (a ball python), and have decided that I want one of my own. Since then I have looked at and handled ball pythons and boas only to decide that the boas are too big and the balls seem to be too shy for me. I am looking for a snake that has a good temperment. A friend suggested a corn snake, I don't know a lot about them so I am doing a little homework:^) Are they shy? Do they generally mind being handled? Any information and insight you could give me will be greatly appreciated.:D

Bish
07-17-2002, 08:43 PM
No there not shy the make the perfect pet!!!!!

Bish
07-17-2002, 08:45 PM
They also are very tame and eat well!!!

SilverTongue
07-17-2002, 08:47 PM
They are shy when they are young, but will warm up to ya *get it! hehe Warm up!!* as they get older. :) Wen ya get them in your hands they are all the time checking things out.... And they tickle your bellie button with their tongue hehe :D

SilverTongue
07-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Here is a site that will have just about anything you need to know about anything reptile. Then there are tons of books, but honestly the books I have read did not tell me anyting different then what I have found in this site. http://www.kingsnake.com/

:)

CornCrazy
07-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Hello Angelina, and welcome to the forum!!! Cornsnakes make WONDERFUL pets! Most of them are very docile and tame! Good luck choosing! That's the hard part...there are so many colors to choose from! And be aware of the addiction factor...one is never enough...neither is two...or three...

sue frederick
07-17-2002, 08:56 PM
before you make your final decision, you need to buy a good corn snake book. I recommend "The Corn Snake Manual" by Bill & Kathy Love. It only cost about 1-15 dollars and you might be able to buy it at PetsMart. I definitely vote for the corn snake for a first snake. Just be aware that they are VERY addicting!
sue frederick

Angelina
07-17-2002, 09:08 PM
Are they good eaters, do they get stressed easily? Does anyone here have cornsnakes that like to go outside? Does anyone here have kingsnakes also, and how do they compare to the cornsnake?? Thanks for all the info, everyone seems to LOVE their cornsnakes!!:D

CornCrazy
07-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Angelina
Are they good eaters, do they get stressed easily? Does anyone here have cornsnakes that like to go outside? Does anyone here have kingsnakes also, and how do they compare to the cornsnake?? Thanks for all the info, everyone seems to LOVE their cornsnakes!!:D

All of my cornsnakes are good eaters. I got them all as adults, however, so I am not sure about young cornsnakes. I do have eggs in the incubator, though, so I'll know in a few weeks! As for getting stressed, I think that depends on the snake. None of mine ever seem particularly stressed.

My snakes only go outside to have some pictures made. I only started this recently. I think it would be very easy to lose one outside, so I suggest that you only take older, more tame snakes outside.

I also have 2 kingsnakes and one milksnake. I really like them, too. However, I think cornsnakes are a bit more docile...less flighty. But both make good pets. Kingsnakes and Milksnakes are a lot alike in their behavior. They are both <b>cannabalistic</b>, though. Kingsnakes and Milksnakes <b>MUST</b> be housed alone...1 snake per enclosure.

Alicia
07-17-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Angelina

Everyone loves their Corn snakes because they are all around great snakes:D I can't think of one reason not to have one. They have a big variety of colors to choose from and they have great temperments.

Kingsnakes are nice snakes, but IMHO not as nice as Corns. We have 1 King and 16 corns. I love him but 1 is enough:D

Good luck and have fun picking out your new snake.

kellyjones
07-17-2002, 10:08 PM
As you can see, we all love our corns! You are really asking the wrong people because we are totally biased:D But on the other hand, why are we biased? Because we have discovered what fantastic pets our corns are. You will not be disappointed.

Bish
07-18-2002, 11:13 AM
I agree with everything that has been mentioned so far plus there is even more that is good about corn snakes!!!!There is so much good about corn snakes I could write a twenty page report on them!!!! I am about to get my first corn in nine days and I am so excited trust me corns are the way to go!!!! Or as the dude of the Dell commercial would say if he had a corn snake (dude your getting a Corn!!!!!)