PDA

View Full Version : :: Eating Himself - Any Ideas? ::

:: Eating Himself - Any Ideas? ::

Naeris
11-25-2004, 03:20 AM
Has anyone ever come across this before?

Last night we fed Bob 1 peach fuzzy, which took a while to be swallowed (he's only on his second dose of this size, one per six days). When we put him back in his viv he sat on the log and proceeded to try and eat the swolen area in his tummy! :eek1: Was he trying to squash the lump down a bit? Or is he such a fat greedy pig he thought it was more food?

Any comments, much appreciated.

bryxbry
11-25-2004, 04:02 AM
I havent seen my corns do that so I cant be of much help. The boa I used to have did this a few times i think he thought it was more food. cause he would chomp down and then realize he bit himself.

Jicin
11-25-2004, 06:04 AM
Something like this:

http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/Photo%20&%20Image%20Stockpile%20-%20CornUtopia/WEB%20-%20cannibal%20corn

Naeris
11-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Have seen that pic before jicin, but ours wasn't eating his tail, he was going for the bulge in his tummy.

At first I thought too that he thought it was more food and I guess his outer tummy was kind of numb for him as it was stretched with the feed! So he might not have felt it so much.

I don't know, maybe he's just crazy...... lol

cornman1979
11-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Apart from the pic on Kathy's site i've never seen a corn snake eat it's self like you have discribed. I have seen bigger snake's do it like bryxbry said, mainly boa's and once a python but i'm also stumped as to why.

bryxbry
11-25-2004, 04:14 PM
I think my boa had mental issues...lol. That's why I got rid of him, so I could get more corns. When i would feed him he would go RIGHT OVER the rat and strike at me through the glass. I love my corns though ;o)

Naeris
11-26-2004, 02:31 PM
He did it about 5 times, he only stopped each time because I was going metal above him lol.

He's still alive and well so he must've gotten over the taste of himself...... :shrugs: