PDA

View Full Version : Forzne/Thawed??

Forzne/Thawed??

mtickle4
11-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Can someone tell me the best ways to thaw mice for my corns? I was going to try microwaving them and one exploded. I am wonderign and this may be dumb but should I put it in water to do that. If I do so do I need to put it in a plastic bag and seal it to keep the water out or is the water ok for them?? Please help!!
Any advice is appreciated!

DAND
11-27-2004, 01:06 PM
A plastic bag in hot water works the best. Just make sure it isn't too hot when you give it to your snake.

Nuking it doesn't work as you have found out :blowup:

Jicin
11-27-2004, 01:08 PM
BWAHAHAHAHHA. Oh PLEASE put up a picture of that :D

Some people just let them slowly thaw to room temps. I prefer to just put them in a plastic bag, tie a knot in it and place it in a glass hot water and then serve it nice and warm. You can just put in it water like that to. It may wash off the mouse smell but that's not to bad. In case the meal is refused you can always make a small incision in the mouse to make it smell like food again.

I've heard mice don't explode in the microwave at low wattage, but i wouldn't that risk. Besides, the paws get really dry and crusty. But if you do try, please have a cam ready :)

DAND
11-27-2004, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't suggest leaving it out to thaw in room temperature due to the threat of bacteria.

tai_pan1
11-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Microwaving is never recommended. When you micrwave a mouse, it could explode (as you've noted), it could have hot spots (which could harm your snake) or it could cook (which is not beneficial nutrient wise). I use hot water. I have tried both the bag method as well as just putting the prey item in the water. I have one corn that enjoys drinking the water droplets up that are left over after she's finished her meal.

JeanH
11-28-2004, 11:17 AM
I put my mice in a bag and then in the hot water. Sometimes if I remember I will put out the mice and put them in the fridge in the morning so they are ready for that night. Then to warm them a little before feeding I just put them under the light on the tank.

Jean

Spirit
11-28-2004, 01:11 PM
A friend (when she was younger) once exploded a large rat because she was rushing to leave. Ohhhh, mom was maaaaad. :laugh:

Ziplock bag and a mug or bowl, but they tend to float so I just use a spoon to hold it down.

cornman1979
11-28-2004, 01:43 PM
A bag in hot water with my feeding tong's on top to keep it submerged for about 5-15 mins (depending on size of mouse). after you pull it out leave for about 5-10 mins then feed (to make sure their are no hot spot's or icicle's left).

Albino corn snake site (http://www.freewebs.com/albinocornsnakes/index.htm)

marg
11-29-2004, 09:27 AM
hiya :wavey:

when I get mine from the shop I wrap them individually in foil, so on feeding day i just lift out required number and leave to thaw at room temp for about an hour or so.

I don't think any bacteria is going to grow any quicker that way than leaving a thawed mouse in a container for a few hours or overnight till the snake decides to eat it?? :shrugs:

thank you