PDA

View Full Version : Shedding every 1 - 2 weeks?????

Shedding every 1 - 2 weeks?????

oscarthesnake
11-28-2004, 12:57 PM
I can't say I have ever heard of this before??? Can someone please maybe explain to me why my ghost corn is shedding so often? I understand when they are young they shed a lot. But my other corns shed maybe once a month. My ghost is about 4 months old... I don't see any skin problems on her, no scratches, everything looks fine... So I guess she could be growing rather quickly!?!?
Scott

Jicin
11-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Wow that does sound like a lot. Not to scare you but didn't someone recently had a dead corn that shed a lot before going belly up? I'm not entirely sure though. Anyone confirm/deny this?

Spirit
11-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Are you talking about this thread (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16045)? I don't think the two are related as one is every couple weeks and the other was 4 times in 1 week, but a shed every 1-2 weeks is quite a bit.

It might be worth it to skim that thread anyway. There might be something you're missing. How is his diet?

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Jicin
11-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Yeah that's the topic. To bad nothing came out that may help you. I'd check out a vet to be sure.

Sasheena
11-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Frequent shedding could be a sign of mites, or of some other skin irritation... could the snake have mites or have too warm a warm spot resulting in burns and the need to shed the burned skin? These are just suggestions. I had mites in my collection once, and until they were pointed out to me by someone else I really didn't know I had them...then I noticed them .... look like little black spots... if you let the snake slither through your hand, then inspect your hand to see if there are any moving black dots. I would check temps also.

I have one snake that I fed up pretty strongly to breed this year (not a cornsnake) and she ended up never having any eggs, but she sure shed a lot as she grew and grew and grew. I've treated her cage for mites just in case I couldn't see them and they were really there. But seeing as how she could down a juvenile rat every week, I guess it's not too surprising she's growing fast!

Good luck with your snake!

Spirit
11-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Actually, this is just a thought, but it might be a good idea to replace any substrate with paper towel (and clean the tank). It might help to diagnose a problem. Not sure, but it might be worth a try.

oscarthesnake
11-28-2004, 04:38 PM
I have been using paper towel ever since I've had her. When I looked at the paper towel, there is nothing there at all!?!? No little black dots or anything. This is her 3rd shed in a little under a month and a half! When I had first got her though, she didn't shed for about 2 months. Maybe it is all catching up with her now?
Scott

mbdorfer
11-28-2004, 05:47 PM
I have a yearling Amel that sheds about every 3 weeks, and I think that is a lot!
What and how often are you feeding your snake.
My Amel is on mice and He's always wanting a second one, I have been known to give in and I think this may be responsible for the frequent shedding.
At four months old I would stick to one prey item per week

InSaNe_penguin
11-28-2004, 07:37 PM
maybe... the snake is trying to make you crazy so it sheds to make u scared =D. or maybe it just likes to shed i mean all liveing creatures are diffrent

DAND
11-29-2004, 08:42 AM
When it is shedding are the eye caps coming off each time. I had a friend who had a snake that was shedding a lot and I went over there and it was retaining it's eye caps. I removed them and it stopped the excessive shedding.

oscarthesnake
11-29-2004, 09:09 AM
I actually thought about that DAND. When I looked at its eyes, I really didn't see anything, but when this shed is completed I will take a look at the shed to see if the eyecaps have come off. Thanks for that one DAND!
Scott

DAND
11-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I actually thought about that DAND. When I looked at its eyes, I really didn't see anything, but when this shed is completed I will take a look at the shed to see if the eyecaps have come off. Thanks for that one DAND!
Scott

You're welcome. Let us know what the out come of the next shed is.

DAND
12-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Scott,

How was the last shed? Still having troubles?