PDA

View Full Version : Questions about first meal

Questions about first meal

Wilder
12-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Okay, I currently have the smallest pink I could find in the batch I bought thawing on the counter in a baggie. When my husband gets home in a few hours I will be feeding the new snake, since I want him to take pictures. ;)

The pink is VERY tiny, but I figured it was best to give that for her first meal in her new home. Is this right? I'm sure I read something about that somewhere, but I can't recall now. I plan to take her out of her viv, examine her, take some pictures, then put her in the feeding container and offer the mouse with tongs. Does that sound like a good idea? She looked like she was hunting around yesterday, but hasn't been out much at all today. I hope she's hungry!

Once she is done eating, how long should I wait before putting her back to the viv? We keep the apartment on the cool side, so will it harm her to have just swallowed a meal when the air isn't quite as warm? Will it stress her to the point of regurge to be gently lifted back into her home?

We hope to settle on a name tonight. That will be nice, as so far she's being refered to as "cuuuute!" whenever we see her, or "snakey." Poor thing must hate us. ;)

Hopefully I'll get a few nice pictures to share later!

Spirit
12-01-2004, 05:42 PM
First off, some people thaw at room temp, but I would HIGHLY suggest putting the pinky in a baggie and letting it sit in a cup of hot tap water for 5-10 minutes.

If it's already thawed (or half) put it in the fridge until you're ready to feed. The pinkie must be at proper temps (blood) so a baggie in hot water is perfect (hold it down with tongs or something, as it tends to float).

You can (gently) put her back right away, but no handling for 48 hours to avoid regurg. Also, I'm sure you know this but the temps in the tank have to be warm for proper digestion so make sure they're accurate (85 degrees on the warm side).

As for the picture taking, some snakes pay no attention, but since yours is new she could get very stressed out by this thing staring in when she's trying to eat. If you insist on taking pics, use the zoom and NO sudden movements. If you notice her flinch and go into semi strike pose, stop.

And congrats on your new baby!! How long have you had her?

Wilder
12-02-2004, 12:38 AM
She ate! While she wasn't too thrilled with being taken out of the viv, she calmed down in a few minutes and held still on my hand for a few pictures. She didn't attempt to bite and didn't musk. Thank goodness. :) I put her into the feeding container and then prepared the mouse, then placed it next to her. She wanted nothing to do with it at first, so I took it back out and ripped some of the skin off the head (aie, that was NOT pleasant to do... I'm sure it'll get easier as time progresses. :P). When I placed it back in, it took all of two seconds for her to decide this was something good and she wasted NO time in eating.

She IS looking rather dull, though, so I'm wondering if she's going to shed soon. Her eyes didn't look foggy, and I don't know that I can tell in the next few days if they have gone that way with her hiding and digesting. Guess we'll see. I'm just thrilled she ate with minimal fuss. :)

Spirit
12-02-2004, 02:04 AM
haha YAY! :D

IguanaMama
12-02-2004, 08:05 AM
She wanted nothing to do with it at first, so I took it back out and ripped some of the skin off the head (aie, that was NOT pleasant to do...
Next time try just wiggling the mouse, less gross. I believe that they need to catch the scent, and it's hard to do if the mouse is laying still and intact. This morning, at dawn, my girl was very active. She looked like she was on the hunt for food. So I took her out and offered her a f/t pinky...nothing. Then I just picked it up and jiggled it near her and she quickly spun around, tongue flicking and actually struck at it. It was the first time I saw her strike. She devoured it, and then we repeated it with her second small pinky. It was the first time I fed her two. Wish us luck.

cornman1979
12-02-2004, 09:41 AM
I'm glad she ate but next time try the wiggling method to give her the scent of the mouse, Keep it up though as it sound's like you have a really friendly one their.

Well done on your disicion to get a corn and may it bring you many happy year's.

neferandrobin
12-03-2004, 12:41 PM
hi wilder
congrats! i remember the first time we fed our corn a fuzzy...it was far too big for her (we knew nothing b/c we were so new to it at that time) and we ended up having to cut the thing in pieces (totally NARSTY)...so we feel your pain. think about trying the wiggling method tho...might save you on the gross out factor. good luck...and welcome to snake parenthood.

ps...our snake has been named for two years and we still refer to her as "cuuuuuuute" and "snakie" whenever we handle her, see her, or talk about her...they're kinda like kids...they never loose that adorable charm :rolleyes: