PDA

View Full Version : Help Me ...sos

Help Me ...sos

jasons corn
12-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Hey my name is jason and im from massachuttess..and i was wondering if you could help me????

i have a creamsicle corn....i have fed it 5 times and got it 1 month old.....so its like 2 months old and i was wondering if it was possible to put another corn in there with it?????same age and size.....but i have like the plastic containers for like transportation and stuff :-offtopic ....and i was wondering if i could put 2 into the same tank....the people who sold them to me said no....but yet they had 6-7 in the same size tank as i have.....the snake strecthed out is mabey 7-12 inches.....in not over a foot long.....but is it ok to put two toghter??? please write back asap....or even email/instant message me at jay1089 plz people :sobstory: :cry: :cry: lol those are cool :-offtopic ....please help me :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs: :cry:

pcar
12-02-2004, 05:11 PM
You really don't want to put 2 cornsnakes in together as you won't be able to tell who has poopped, shed. if one gets sick, both will get sick. And, god forbid, canablism can happen.

Do a search on here for housing 2 corns together and you will find a lot of posts on it.

Also, if you don't have it already, I suggest that you go and purchase "The Cornsnake Manual" by Kathy Love.

Welcome to the forums btw

jasons corn
12-02-2004, 08:28 PM
well if i cant put two corns together....can i put any other exotic animal with it or ???? PCAR....if you have aim plz im me at jay1089 thanks
~jason~

howiet4702
12-02-2004, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't put any other herps in with another corn snake. They should be housed alone.

jasons corn
12-02-2004, 08:40 PM
i understand you shouldnt...but on a scale 1-10 whats the chance of them going cannabolistic

snakeladyamy
12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
you will get different points of view on housing corns together (most will say no) but if you do decide you must house them together, remember to at least quarantine them both first for several months, and you'll want to get them checked out by a vet and sexed, because if it is a male and female, once they feel they are big enough, you'll have eggs. (although they should not be bred until a certain size, they will do it on their own once they can- they don't read the manual, and it is bad for the snake to breed if it is too small) It is usually a better idea to keep them separate.
also, you should NEVER keep a cornsnake (or any other reptile) in the cage with another species.
hope that helps!

jasons corn
12-02-2004, 09:08 PM
thanks i figured you shouldnt put 2 diff breeds together...but thanks for help....but i just dont know how to get them quarrentined...i know it spelt wrong...oh well

TheCornSnakeKid
12-02-2004, 09:54 PM
I have this 55 gallon tank, and BEFORE Trinity escaped (PLEASE make sure you have a locking lid. I dont want anybody else to go thouhgh what I am) I kept my 2 corns in there together. BUT here's the catch: I took a piece of plexiglass (sp?) and stuck it in the middle, and then put the UTH right in the middle of the cage. It's like having 2 vivs in one :rolleyes: . However, you should make sure the plexi glass goes all the way up and gets pretty close to touching teh lid, or else one of the snakes may wind up with an unexpected guest... and lunch for that matter... I just used silicone to stick the plexiglass to the glass sides of the tank. The great part about that is that you can always just get an Exacto knife and cut the Silicone away if you ever need the tank for somthing else. Good luck and happy herping! (God I love saying that. LOL)...:wavey:

~Weston

starwarsdad
12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
While TheCornSnakeKid's method will allow keeping 2 corns, it is NOT an effective quarantine method ( not trying to pick on you kid as I don't think that is what you had in mind. I just want to make sure the original poster understands quarantine procedures). Quarantined animals should ideally be housed in different rooms.

As for your scale from 1 to 10 idea, if it is a .0001 chance, isn't that an unacceptable risk?

snakeladyamy
12-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Do a search on the forums for 'quarantine'. There is ample information available. Or like i said, pick up a copy of "The Cornsnake Manual" by Kathy Love. That explains the process in detail as well.

ChaosCat
12-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Jason, please take the advice here. There are really NO animals that would do good together in the same tank aside from rodents. Mixing species is NOT a good idea, ever.

jasons corn
12-04-2004, 01:02 PM
undefined ok i will listen to you....im honestly not arguing with you...but i noticed that my teacher like i said has 3 together in one tank for 3 years.....all healthy and happy ..(i think) but i know they all eat shed and poop at the same times ...but thanks for your advise:) :crazy02:

ChaosCat
12-04-2004, 01:14 PM
they might be "healthy and happy" in appearance, but how would your teacher tell which one is sick if one goes get sick?

jasons corn
12-05-2004, 05:51 PM
i have not a clue...what your saing is right.....

Missy
12-06-2004, 08:31 PM
i too would disagree with housing two together, and this is coming from someone who had nearly experienced canabalism, trust me, my 2 females, same size and everything had lived together for 2 1/2 years, no matter how well you think they know each other, or how happy they are, there is always a chance of canabalism when you least expect it. even if they look happy, chances are they are stressed as one could be an intimidation to the other especially around feeding times.
and i certainly disagree with housing 2 different species together a big no no there, kid. not having a go just simply telling you the risks involved, however if you wanted to risk it then that is your own choice, but at least you are aware of what could happen.
good luck with your little ones.
:)