PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question

Just a quick question

David_F
12-03-2004, 04:53 AM
My cornsnake just shed Wednesday so I fed him Thursday morning. The shed skin was around 24" long, maybe an inch or so more (only adding that b/c I haven't gotten a chance to measure him yet). He's been eating fuzzies so I bought three and he ate all of them. These were about 1.25"-1.5" long each (minus tail). He's only had a regurg once since May (I fed him a mouse that was too big :dunce: ) but I was wondering if maybe this is too much food for him at one time. He still seemed to want more after each mouse and, since he had been refusing to eat for the past two weeks, I gave them all to him. What do you think? Just watch him for a few days and give him a bit more time than usual before handling? Thanks for any advice.

-David

Joejr14
12-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Well, you gotta judge it by the lump the food creates. If you can still see a siginificant lump 12-24 hours after feeding, the item you're feeding is too big. If you cant see it, it's too small.

I've got a pair of yearlings that are just a bit over 24", and they're both getting very small mice, probably weanlings.

Get a weanling or a very small mouse and give that a try.

David_F
12-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks Joe. I'll give that a try next feeding.

pcar
12-03-2004, 11:15 AM
the way that I play it, is as soon as a snake can take 2 of a particular size, it is time to move the size up. If you are feeding 3 fuzzies, move up to either weanlings or hoppers and see how your snake handles that.

I have found that this method works like a charm and I have never had any problems with regurges.

cornman1979
12-03-2004, 07:52 PM
I agree with pcar on this one, after feeding 2 of one size for a while, depending on the snake's growth anything from 10-20 feeds later the snake will be ready to move to a bigger size mouse.