• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding Question

Killerbee

I am completely new to this. Have read every single question and answer on this forum before i went and bought my baby corn. It is about 8 weeks now and eating very well. The quetsion i have is this:

Should I feed him about every 5 days or 7 days?

There are many people here supporting both. Now I am slightly confused.

You can do either, they're both fine.

I fed mine live pinkies, which is why I did it every 7 days, because pinkies were/are only available every Thursday of the week.

If you feed F/T, might as well go ahead and do it every 5 until you bump up to fuzzies.

If still on pinkies (I presume it is) i would say feed every 4 days, as hatchlings are greedy and grow fast, once on 2 pinkies increase to every 5 days and so on till it eats a medium-large mouse every week. See my site for more details of my feeding stratagie

im not argueing...but when i got my snake i talked to the lady who sold it to me and she said i can feed it 2 times a week.....hes very healthy and i asked if i feed it every tues and every sat...and she said it was fine

jasons corn said:
im not argueing...but when i got my snake i talked to the lady who sold it to me and she said i can feed it 2 times a week.....hes very healthy and i asked if i feed it every tues and every sat...and she said it was fine

Feeding a snake like that is not really healthy. What you basically end up doing is forcing the snake to grow faster than is good for it, which can cause problems with internal organs, shortened life span, etc. Feeding every five days should be enough for the snake, especially since it mimicks their feeding in the wild. Though I'm sure they do on occasion get lucky and manage to eat more than once a week, it certainly isn't a regular occurance like our captive snakes have. :)

Thanx guys!

I think the 5 day option looks like the best one. Although i suppose there are as many opinions on this issue as there are cornsnakes.

2 of mine are on 5 days and my new adult is on evry 7 days and are all healthy so yeah, I would stick to every 5 days.

feel free to tell me off...

...before I knew any better, I was feeding my young snakes a lot more frequently than is good. I had a little snow who I wanted to catch up to it's cagemates in weight, so I was alternating feeding between every 2nd and every 3rd day whilst the others were getting fed every 4th day. The only effect this has had is that that particular snow is a whole lot bigger than his friends! He sheds, poops, etc perfectly and has never regurged and is a beautiful snake. Perhaps I was just lucky but I have a 4 foot, 380gram snow who only hatched 15-16 months ago. I own his sister who is one year younger(she's the one in the middle of my avatar) and she's on the same feed schedule as I usually keep (every 4th or 5th day, depending on my work schedule) and I think perhaps I just have a couple of snakes from a large line cos she's 50% heavier than her cagemates of the same age and this time I'm doing nothing differently with her.

I don't reccommend feeding as often as I did, but it didn't do any harm in my case. Good luck, happy herping,
Adèle

Back