• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding

Meeghann

UIUC Vet Med C/o 2018
My snake shed last night but there is still a little bit of old skin on about the last inch of his tail. WIll this come off by its self. If not how do I get it off? Im afraid it will cut the circulation off as he grows if it stays. Thanks

Hi There!
yes that little bit of skin needs to come off, it's not an emergency but you should tend to it as soon as possible... it could cut off circulation (not good), it can also harbor bacteria or fungi (also not good) there are a few methods that are easy and not too stressful for the snake.
you can simply soak the snake in tepid water then let him (her) slither through a towel, or you can place him (her) in a container (with ventilation holes) with very moist paper towels on a heating mat (at the proper temp) let them move throught the paper towels and remove the skin- these two methods work pretty well for me I'm sure you will get additional suggestions soon!
Good Luck :)

Yes, it should be removed. It can cause the tip of the tail to be lost.

If the snake is handlable, just moisten the tail and try to roll the skin off carefully. Another option is to place the snake in a deli cup (or something similar) with a moist paper towel over night. It works best if the towel fills the cup so the snake has to crawl through and around it. That should help remove the skin.

Back