• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Blue eyes

Killerbee

Hi everyone!

If someone told me a few months ago that i would feel almost as excited about my baby snake having blue eyes as I was with the birth of my children, I would've thought they smoked something, but I am!!

As you can probably see, I am new to this and only have had my corn for a week now. One feeding that went very well and now it seems like our first shedding is coming up.

My question after all of that is, how long will it takebefore it actually starts shedding? :crazy02:

Well my baby had blue eyes on thursday and on fri they cleared up and by saturday night he had shed. I dont know if thats how all snakes are but thats what mine did.

mine usually shed about 3-7 days after the blue phase depending on the size of the snake and the humidity levels, so anything around that sort of time is good.

within a week...

your hatchling will probably shed :) it is exciting, no doubt. i get excited easily...when my hatchling eats, sheds...even uses the bathroom because it assures me that everything is dandy and functioning properly.

Mine shed this morning, and was blue eyed on thurs.

Last time he shed 4 days after the blue phase.

So for me, 4 days after the eyes turn blue (2-3 after they clear up).

Thanx everyone!

the surprising thing for me was that last night I took a chance and gave it a pinky which she attacked and swallowed in 2 minutes flat. I thought it wasnt supposed to be eating at this stage but it seemed quite hungry.
Anyway i'm not complaining!

Will let you know how long it took for er to shed but it seems like it might happen round about Thursday

Some snakes eat during the blue phase with no problems whatsoever. Some refuse food and some regurg (rare, but one member here has exerienced a regurg everytime, if the snake's been fed within so many days of a shed cycle).

Personally, if my snake has already reached the blue eye phase, I wait to feed. I just don't want to take the chance, as a regurg is much more stressful on the snake than waiting a few extra days to eat. It really depends on your snake though. If he took the food so eagerly, you'll probably have no problems at all. :)

I agree with spirit, once the "blue" phase has started i find it better to wait for the snake to finish shedding. 1 of mine will eat if offred a food item while blue without a problem but i only do it if i miss the blue eye's, (she's a snow so harder to tell when blue if i miss her eye's going), but i do prefere not to feed during this time.

thanx for the advise. Fortunately nothing happended. Checked this afternoon and no regurging but will definitely keep in mind next time.
:cheers:

feeding/shedding

I also missed one of mine entering the blue phase. I was feeding the rest and did note one did not want to eat so I left him in his feeding container until he did then I realized the next day his sunglow had dulled. I also have difficulty recognizing the start of the blue phase with those amel eyes. I hope he does not regurge.

Our shedding went exactly as edvised er by a few people. Blue eys for 2 days, that disappeared and bit more than a day later it happened. Funny thing is though, there was never any sign of grumpiness and ate very well during this phase and did not regurge :)

Some snakes are fine with shedding and eating with shedding, although i do advise agains feeding while in shed :) . I have 5 snakes at the min and 3 of them are brilliant during shedding, with only my 2 male corns getting grumpy while shedding (yeah male snake's are as fickle as us human males :grin01: sometimes anyway).

Great result on the shed anyway, and i'm glad to hear thet (s)he didn't regurge. Sound like you have a good little sake on your hands

Back