PDA

View Full Version : quick question about feeders

quick question about feeders

Cody60
12-11-2004, 02:22 PM
at what age/size of mice do i need to start worrying about feeding them live to my snake (at what age/size are they dangerous to my snake)? i know that pinkies are pretty safe, but fuzzies? should i give em a flick on the head first or can i just give them to my snake? and for hoppers, im guessing you should pre-kill or paralyze them first right? any help is appreciated, thanks.

madamwlf
12-11-2004, 03:49 PM
That's is truly up to you. For me the only rodents I pre-kill are rats for my retics. The rest of my snakes eat live BUT I do not leave my snakes alone with their potential dinner. Not until I know the mouse is dead and that is usually when they start swallowing it. There will probably be mixed replies to this and I know there are people who do not agree with live prey. So, it really depends on what you wish to do and the snake. My ball python will not eat unless it is live. I just choose to feed live.

KatieL
12-11-2004, 06:14 PM
I've recieved some advice about this on the forum also, so I'll pass along what I gained from it.

If I remember correctly, the general consensus was that anything with its eyes open and possessing teeth should be stunned before feeding it to the snake.

My corn is currently on live fuzzies and although one of them had an eye open Sienna took it just fine, and she never appeared to be in any danger from the mouse. So fuzzies seem to be fine without being stunned. I'd guess that if you want to be on the safe side you'd probably want to stun a hopper, but other people will probably have differing opinions (especially on feeding live). Anyway, hope that helped some.

Cody60
12-12-2004, 01:27 PM
alright, thanks a lot to both of you