PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question..

Feeding question..

Blaqwraith
12-12-2004, 03:01 AM
Alright, my corn snake (young one) is from a pet store and they have been trying to break them from live pinkies, well..my question is, how do I exactly do this?

DAND
12-12-2004, 04:49 AM
First I'd try cupping it when feeding. (placing the snake and the pink in a deli cup. If you don't have a deli cup you could try a small paper bag)

If that doesn't work you can try teasing it with the pinky. If you move the pink it may think it is alive and take it. Dangling it with your fingers (tweezers may be better if you have some) in front of it may (should) cause a feeding response.

WhiteLips
12-12-2004, 09:07 AM
I switched all my snakes (pythons, corns & rats) to F/T on the same day, it was very easy! I thawed in the fridge for several hours, then soaked in warm water for about an hour (you have to change the water once or twice) I think the trick is to make sure the rodent is warm on the inside! and I feed after the sun goes down to take advantage of their (very strong) feeding response. I use rubber tipped tongs even for the smallest (this would be a stimson's python, the 04 hatchlings are tiny) I fed them in the enclosures they were acustom to (pretend like nothing is changed ;) ) Except for one of the pythons (he is difficult anyway- had to tease him a bit...but he ate in the end!) all the snakes ate like normal. hope this helps! :)
let us know how it turned out!
The other thing I trained myself to do (it's difficult!) is to give them some privacy after they take the rodent- that seems to help a lot ! :)

MegF.
12-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I just went and switched them over. I don't work as hard as whitelips to thaw. I just pop them in a cup of hot water and change the water once or so. They are usually quite warm in 10 minutes or so. I dry them and feed. I haven't had a problem with any of them switching over.