PDA

View Full Version : Frogs?

Frogs?

Skeet
12-13-2004, 08:18 PM
I have a hatchling who won't eat. i've had him almost 2 weeks and hasn't eaten yet. I don't know anything about what or when he was fed before I got him. He shed 2 days after i got him, but he neeeded to be helped out of his skin. Anyways, he still wont eat and i've tried everything. The other day i saw some frogs at a petstore. Has anyone ever tried feeding a snake a frog? would it be a really bad idea to try it. I'm up for any sugestions, i just want him to eat already. He hides all the time, but when i take him out he's active, alert, and flicks his toung alot. :shrugs:

WhiteLips
12-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Hi There- congratulations on your new snake! I'm sorry he's not wanting to eat for you. first I wouldn't try to feed him a frog. :cry: Since you have only had him 2 weeks and he seems alert and is tongue flicking, he probably just needs to settle in first! :)
I suggest you leave him be for a week or so- let him get used to his surroundings... then try to feed him. Depending on his size sometimes you have to "tease" them a bit to get them to strike the mouse (pinky).
If you had to help him with his shed it could be the humidity wasn't quite right- now that you have him you can make sure he has the humidity he needs!
I hope this helps! good luck! :cheers:

Meeghann
12-13-2004, 11:40 PM
I wouldnt feed frogs either. Frogs scream badly when eaten (I know from experience with a turtle). Just keep trying with the mice.

Flygning
12-14-2004, 12:52 AM
There are a ton of ways to get picky eaters to eat. Do a search and you'll find a plethora of ideas. I've never heard of feeding frogs, especially after only 2 weeks.

norbert03
12-14-2004, 09:01 AM
two days after you got him that is a good sign that he had been eating before you got him...he's probably just a little timid and focusing on other things than his stomach. i use bamboo tongs when feeding my hatchling, you can also try tease feeding. i'm sure that everything will work out fine, let us know. good luck.

Skeet
12-14-2004, 12:15 PM
I have tried anole scenting, frozen brained, live, i've left him in a chinese food box w/ the mouse for an hour, left him alone for days, even tried teasing, he seems to have no interest in the pinky, he just tries to get out of whatever he's in. i thought frogs might work b/c they probbaly eat them in the wild, but i don't wanna hear it scream so i'll scratch that idea. anyother tricks, i'll try dipping in chicken broth, but it's now been a full 2 weeks that i've had him.

pcar
12-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Relax Skeet. Corns are very good eaters, but they will stop eating ocasionally and can go for months with out food. How often are you offering food? If you offer food, and the snake doesn't take it, you should wait another 5 days before offering again. Offering too many times and the snake not taking can cause a Do Not Take (food item) to happen and the snake will not eat that particular food.

I would suggest you to offer food this weekend, and if he doesn't take it, wait 5 to 7 days (next Thursday to Saturday) before offering again.

JTGoff69
12-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Skeet, I have never seen Pcar "snap" at anybody, he is simply trying to help you here. He realizes you are worried about your snake and is just trying to get you to relax. There is no condescention in his tone at all. He is a very good source of information and his advice is only meant the best way. We are all here to learn. :wavey:

cornman1979
12-14-2004, 07:13 PM
sorry Skeet but i agree with JTGoff69, that pcar is a great source of infomation, and if you talk to him in the chat room as well as on the forum he will do anything he can to give you the relivant infomation. Thats my rant over now back on topic.
1 of my snake's didn't eat for 4 weeks and i was a little conserned at the time but after doing my homework and asking for advice i found this to be normal in some case's. After the 4 week period he ate a small mouse and a fuzzie, then returned to a normal feeding patern of 1 mouse every 6-7 days without any problem's. Give it some time and try feed just a small pinkie every 5 days, and don't get to conserned about it yet. If he's still not eating in say 3 weeks (thats 4 more feeding atemp's) then yeah i would start getting conserned, but till then don't upset your self more then you need to as snakes can and do go long period's without eating.

Skeet
12-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Your right, I'm sorry, i had a hard day and i guess i read too much into it. i'm sorry i realize you are just trying to help.

pcar
12-15-2004, 12:04 PM
I guess I missed a post on here. Don't worry about it Skeet. It is very easy to read written text the wrong way. If I ever do snap at anyone in text, it is always written in bold and italics. No harm done.

starwarsdad
12-15-2004, 05:37 PM
I guess I missed a post on here. Don't worry about it Skeet. It is very easy to read written text the wrong way. If I ever do snap at anyone in text, it is always written in bold and italics. No harm done.

That's what I was thinking. Must have been deleted by the mighty watcher
:crazy02:

Skeet
12-15-2004, 07:09 PM
i deleted it b/c i wrote some stupid stuff

Skeet
12-19-2004, 07:36 PM
anyways, ielft him alone for the opast week and tried feeding him again today. i gave him a live pinky that was born today. he has not interest in the thing whatsoever. he even seems to be afraid of it, i tried to teas him and he just kept cowering away. i'm leaving him in the small container in my closet for the night w/ the pinky, mayeb he'll go for it later. i have a small carpet in the containor w/ him but he's hiding underneight it. should i leave him a small thing of water too?

pcar
12-20-2004, 11:24 AM
just leave the snake and the pink together alone. The snake might be afraid because it isn't used to eating with someone watching him. I have a snake that won't eat unless you cover the feeding tank and leave her alone for an hour or so.

I noticed that you posted above yesterday. Any updates on whether he ate or not?

Skeet
12-23-2004, 01:58 PM
He ate!! i left him in a chinese paper containor w/ a brained pinky for like 20 minute checked and he had eaten it. I'm so relieaved finally, after a month! thanxs guys for all the support.