PDA

View Full Version : pinky orphan

pinky orphan

SnakesRus007
07-21-2002, 03:20 AM
i have a pinky here for my baby amenalistic corn but he wont eat what should i do i put him in a seperate container for him to eat it but hes not interested ... how can i keep the pinky alive without its mother???? i have mice and hamsters should i put it in with them ??? i have no idea ..................... any ideas would be helpfull thanks everybody

SilverTongue
07-21-2002, 03:38 AM
the mice would probably kill it.....if it is still alive then do the humaine thing and then freeze it

SnakesRus007
07-21-2002, 03:42 AM
its too late i put him in with the hamsters and they started to bite it ............... its bleeding i feel bad for it now its going to die soon :( :( :( :(

SilverTongue
07-21-2002, 03:42 AM
Whack it dont let it bleed to death!! :(

SnakesRus007
07-21-2002, 03:49 AM
how i dont wanna make a mess and get blood everywhere i dont have the heart to ............ aw that sucks :( i hope my snake eats it and puts it out its missery cause i sure cant

SilverTongue
07-21-2002, 04:09 AM
well if it sill bleeding then put it in the cage with your snake close to its mouth perhaps the smell will make him hungry.

snakemanone
07-21-2002, 02:07 PM
hi ya.

The reason they attacked the pinky is that they could probably smell the snake on it,but i agree with silver if its bleeding you should put it back with the snake, good luck...

....................................STEVE.

bmm
07-21-2002, 03:36 PM
I think you are really rude.

Why would you purposely put the pinkie in with HAMSTERS? Its a MOUSE not a hamster for one, secondly if you didn't know already that they would most likely kill it, then YOU NEED to research more about mice. Thirdly if this is how you respect all living creatures I feel bad for any that are around you.

Just because your snake didn't want to eat it doesn't mean that gives you the right to dispose of the living pinkie however you want. There are suggested, humaine ways of putting down mice, and pinkies and letting them bleed to death is NOT one of them. And don't come back with "Well my snake would have hurt him too" because you are NOT a snake, and you had the ability to put that pinkie down the right way.

I am sorry but I am sick of seeing people treat the mice that give their snakes life with so little respect. Learn how to properly manage an issue like that or DO NOT KEEP ANIMALS.

marisa

snakemanone
07-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Hello.

Listen bmm, give the guy a break, he's a newbie,and we all make mistakes, the secret is to learn from them and not to feed live pinkies or mice in the future.

I dont mean to upset or annoy anyone, i think you could of stated your opinion in a less condesending way BMM without jumping straight down 007's throat,if my honesty upsets you i am sorry, but try to put yourself in 007's place,what started out as innocent attempt at feeding turned into hell.

007 you must learn a lesson from this, i dont mean to preach, but feeding LIVE rodents is a big no no.

.............................................STEVE :(

bmm
07-21-2002, 04:55 PM
I don't see what him being a newbie has to do with it at all.

Any human should have a fairly clear idea of what is humaine or not. Its not that hard to figure out that whacking the little pinkie mouse would have been a more acceptable way of death than being ripped up and eaten to death by hamsters.

The main reason why I posted though is because of the general lack of response to this situation he got. I cannot believe no one said something. Newbie? fine then he should learn on here what is o.k. and what is not o.k. to do to mice.

He clearly posted THREE times about this pinkie dying. In my eyes thats cruel, and MORE than enough time to quickly look online and find the acceptable method then put it out of its misery. He says he doesnt have the heart to, in one post, and if he doesn't have the heart to put a suffering pinkie out of its misery then how will he deal with putting down larger mice?

Sorry it sounded rude but this is very sad, and it obvious (sp) to animal people/non animal people that the poor thing shouldnt' be fed live to a bunch of hamsters and let bleed to death.

bmm

HomeBreeder
07-21-2002, 05:19 PM
Edited after reading bmm's reply, but all I'm doing is adding a comment or two up here, the rest of the message (quoted) is what I originally posted)

Marisa,

I apologize. I shouldn't have jumped on you like that. I certainly DO agree with you, that if you want to keep snakes that eat rodents you need to be prepared and ready to dispatch the food humanely. I still think you could have been much nicer about it too, though. :)

As you can see, I very recently was right in the middle of a situation with a wounded pinkie that caught me off guard - much in the same way 007 found himself. Again, I'm not saying it's right to allow a pinkie to bleed to death or not, but please try to have a little compassion for this person who found themselves in a situation they had never anticipated....

Marisa aka bmm,

Not to beat a dead horse, but your post is definately an attack on an individual for not coming up to "your" standard. The only reason they came asking is because they were in the middle of an un-fun situation.

It's also rude of YOU to assume that everyone knows everything. Personally *I* have never claimed to be an expert at anything, but I thought I knew what I was doing one day last week.... Please - let me relate a story, and then I'd be happy for you to yell at me and tell me how dumb I am:

The scenario here revolves around 2 female mice who have spent the majority of their lives in the same community. Because I had a cannibal in the community I decided to remove the females a few days before they give birth so they could setup a new solo apartment for themselves. The first one that was ready was Delilah. She moved in to her new digs, prepared her nest, and raised some VERY healthy babies. Of those that I allowed her to ween one is now living at M.I.T. and the other is in my alpha community (he's a boy, for the record.) Delilah was a very good mother, by all indications.

As fate would have it, her previous room-mate Eve had given birth several days before Delilah was at the completion of weening her kids. Here's where the trouble starts. As it turns out Eve is a terrible mother, and although she isn't in a large apartment, she still finds anything to do but to tend to her kids. She was literally letting them starve, and by the time I decided I had to intervene it may have been >24 hours since the little runts had taken any milk. They were cold, and quite ready for the hearafter....

So, here I am... one mother still lactating, the other is psychotic, and they both know each other well and have helped each other raise micelings in the past. The thought occurs to me that the only possible hope for these pinks is if I can convince Delilah to "adopt" them. So, I take Delilah from her kids (who are old enough to ween, but still milking because they are lazy) and put her in with Eve. Just like she was the terminator, Delilah goes straight for the kids and starts CHEWING on them - not cleaning, she is outright trying to destroy them. Delilah isn't with us anymore, and I'm posetive you'd have even more rant for me if I told you how I dispatched her, but frankly she really shocked me when she did this. Like I said her kids were ready to ween - the one I kept is now the alpha male in my prime community - he and his father get along famously (wait, doesn't mouse lore tell me I simply CANT keep two males together among females?)

Anyway, so much for my great plan to "save" these pinkes from their neglegent mother. Is my mistake something that "anyone with any sense of responsibility" could not have made? Did I fail to do enough research before implementing my plan? Or is it possible, that mice, as fairly stupid creatures, simply aren't very predictable in this regard? If there IS a Great Tome of Mousey Wisdom that you'd like to refer us to I'm certain that I and others will embrace all it has to teach us, but as for you and your holier-than-thou attitude, it's not very helpful....

bmm
07-21-2002, 05:26 PM
His post had NOTHING to do with breeding MICE!

NOTHING!

Your's did, and frankly your post is more rude than any of mine were.

I have mice eating each other once in awhile around here too.
but his post was about putting a pinkie a MOUSE pinkie in a hamsters cage, then feeling bad as they ripped it up.

I don't see how I am "mean" for saying this was inhumaine. Nothing can be done about mouse mothers eating babies, it happens, period. But something could have been done instead of tossing the pinkie in another speices cage and letting those hamsters eat it.

I never said I had a special mouse book, never. I said it was inhumaine for him to give the pinkie alive to hamsters, who aren't even mice, and say he doesn't have the heart to remove it and put it down after the began eating it. I believe if he has a hard time putting down a pinkie mouse he will definitly have a hard time dispatching older adult mice in the future if need be.

That was my point.

bmm
07-21-2002, 05:34 PM
You wouldn't have to worry about how I would feel about how you put down any animal.

This wasn't the same case. And I myself put down quiet a few mice each week, and of course have had to put down other various baby animals during my life for one reason or another. But the simple differance is doing it the recommeded humaine way or not. And what he did was not humaine, and I believe anyone dealing with live feedings etc should educate themselves on the humaine methods of putting a mouse down. thats all. He will eventually have to dispatch larger mice if a frozen source cannot be found, and if he doesn't have the heart to stop hamsters from ripping a pinkie apart then I find it hard to beleive he will be able to humainly put a adult mouse down properly. I am sorry but I don't find this o.k. " i dont wanna make a mess and get blood everywhere i dont have the heart to" I dont think not wanting to make a mess and instead lietting it bleed to death humaine. I am sorry but i dont.

bmm.

sorry if i offended you but i feel strongly about people being inhumaine when they do not need to be especially with free information all over the net.

bmm
07-21-2002, 05:45 PM
If telling people I think letting a creature bleed to death because they "don't want a mess" is "holier than thou" attitude, again I am sorry.

I didnt' want to seem rude, but I find it sad that someone would rather let something bleed to death than make a mess. I am sorry, I find it inhumaine. nuff said from me. But I respect your opinion and I am glad you shared it HomeBreeder!

bmm. :)

SnakesRus007
07-21-2002, 08:09 PM
excuse me but the pinky did not bleed to death and for your information i have mice with my hamsters ... the snake ate the pinky when i finished its suffering so abviously u guys are talkin about what did not happen i worked up the courage and put the pinky out its missery ....... sorry if i got anyone upset but i made a mistake and i was just seeking help ......... im sure every single person in this world has made a mistake nobodys perfect and i take care of my animals a whole lot im fifteen years old and i take care of 5 iguanas 4 bettas 20 + fish 2 hamsters and breeding mice and i cant forget bout my 2 cornsnakes ... i respect living things ........... thank you for all the replys

Iris
07-21-2002, 08:31 PM
Glad everything turned out all right.
Don't worry if you get a few heated replies now and then. It just happens here sometimes so don't ever let it discourage you from asking for help or advice.

SnakesRus007
07-21-2002, 09:04 PM
thanks iris

snakemanone
07-23-2002, 06:24 PM
Hi all.

Heated discussions are healthy discussions, how boring would life be if everybody was too scared to voice their opinion, i personaly love a good heated discussion as long as its a discussion and not a row..............................

...........................STEVE.:D :D

SnakesRus007
07-24-2002, 12:29 AM
your right steve ..................................... thats is true

Rhoman
07-24-2002, 06:05 AM
Did you say that you keep your mice and hamsters in the same cage? What kind of hamster is it? Mine is a syrian and it is the means little@$!##% I've ever owned. Also if you continue to buy live pinks and they are not eaten you can just put them in a bag and freeze them. They will die in like 5 minutes, but it's fairly humane because hypothermia will cause them to fall asleep quickly. Hope this helps.
Rhoman

Katie
07-24-2002, 10:03 AM
Wasn't the freezing alive discussing played out awhile ago? From what I read there, Hypothermia is NOT a pleasant way to die. Not to open a new can of worms here or anything but I'm firmly against freezing a live mouse.

I've HAD hypothermia and I DID almost die from it and it was not at all a plesant experience! Not in a freezer of course but in a river in early April in New Brunswick. Those of you who live in Canada will understand how cold this is. My near death experience was from the cold on the hike back to civilization after getting out of the water, not from drowning in the river.

I wouldn't wish that kind of death on any living thing.

apollo's mom
07-24-2002, 08:05 PM
hon, i hope you dont take the mess that happened above as typical of this forum. i understand how hard it can be to just kill something even if it is for its own good. you didnt know the hamsters would bite it and so this wasnt your fault. i have a suggestion for the future for you.
you and your snake will both be better off if you switch to feeding prekilled pinkies/fuzzies/mice. it will prevent you from having to face such a problem again. it will also help prevent your snake from being harmed by a mouse if (s)he is not hungry at a point further in the future. mice will try to defend themselves from snakes when placed in an enclosure and can hurt your snake if (s)he is not hungry. pet stores sell prekilled so you will not have to kill them yourself. they are also easier to store.
good luck in future feedings!

Rhoman
07-24-2002, 08:46 PM
I apologize for my little tangent, I deleted the post because after re-reading it realized that it was quite graphic and didn't help the original poster. I agree with apollo's mom, you should try switching to either frozen thawed or pre-killed. Sorry again.
Rhoman

pdrau
07-24-2002, 09:21 PM
You guys are hilarious. Death is painful. There is nothing humane about killing any animal, but only varying degrees of cruelty. Make death as quick as possible. Anything that prolongs it just makes it worse.

Peter