PDA

View Full Version : how can you tell if a snake has internal parisites?

how can you tell if a snake has internal parisites?

InSaNe_penguin
12-20-2004, 08:30 PM
ok i no you have to look at its poop but...
what douse the poo look like if it has parisites?

i ask this because i got a snow =D
but it pooped and it looks difrent from my other snakes

CornCrazy
12-20-2004, 11:12 PM
You will need to have a fecal run at a vet's office. Most parasites cannot be seen without a microscope.

InSaNe_penguin
12-21-2004, 06:41 AM
You will need to have a fecal run at a vet's office. Most parasites cannot be seen without a microscope.
ty ima try if i can but i need money
thing is i have a microsope at my house
and was wondering

CornCrazy
12-21-2004, 07:02 AM
You have to have a pretty good microscope to see some of the parasite ovum (eggs). Some of them can be seen at 100x magnification, but most often you need to go up to 400x or 1000x. You also need the proper supplies to see them. To do a direct smear (which is what you probably will have to do), you will only need a microscope slide, a cover slip, some saline, and a toothpick (to mix the stool with the saline). You would have to put a small amount of stool on the slide, add a couple of drops of saline, mix it together. It should be a very thin mixture. Place the cover slip on top and view under the microscope. There are MANY different parasites/bacteria that can be seen on a fecal. You will need a "parasite chart" in order to determine if there are any parasites. You'll have to know what you are looking for. To be honest, it would probably be almost expensive to run one at home unless you already have slides and stuff. A fecal runs somewhere around $10 to $20 at most vets. You could call around and find out how much one will cost in your area.