PDA

View Full Version : feeding problem ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

feeding problem ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mike55520
12-24-2004, 04:09 AM
ive had my snake for like a month almost hes nice n settled in he loves his new house and he really seems to like me but today i ran into my first major feeding problem : he went right for the mouse,he killed it and all that...then someone ran into my room,and i guess it startled the snake as he totally forgot about the mouse,i left it in ther for a good 4 hours to see if hed still eat it but he didnt,i then went and baught another mouse,he attacks it(biting) but he wont try to kill it....its worrying me cuz hes already 3 days overdue for feeding cuz of transportation problems,at the moment i have the mouse in a separate thing and im gonna try again in the mornng to feed him....but does anyone know why this is happening?

PS: he is about to shed now too

WAS1
12-24-2004, 04:46 AM
Most snakes don`t eat while in shedding mode.
He killed the 1st mouse simply as a predatory reaction.
Mine will attack the food all the time then just leave it, when shedding.
Don`t worry, wait until hes shed then feed him again. Should be no problem.

howiet4702
12-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Same deal with mine. They usually won't even look at a mouse when they are in shed. How long has he been in blue? Will he shed in the next day or two?

DAND
12-24-2004, 09:07 AM
I'd wait until after it sheds to try to feed it again.

WhiteLips
12-24-2004, 05:13 PM
My corn snake will eat no matter what :shrugs: But, I have a python that when he is in shed will do the same thing he will kill the mouse and just leave it there- after the shed is finished- he's back to eating!
good luck
happy holidays :santa:

Felix the snake
12-26-2004, 11:45 AM
When you say he killed it, that obviously means that it was a live mouse. If I were you I would wean your snake on to frozen mice before it's too late, assuming you have a youngish snake (it can be done with older animals though, too). Dead mice cannot harm your snake and are way cheaper and easier to keep. Make the change now. Start by twitching the mouse if your snake wont take it after it been left over night and perhaps try braining it (puncturing the skull with a needle) to release some smell. Make sure you thoroughly thaw out the mouse prior to feeding though. Eventually you'll be able to just place a mouse in its viv and your snake will take it. Remember to put it on top of a hide or on bark or something so it doesn't ingest any substrate.

Andy

:cheers: