PDA

View Full Version : time to get rid of them?

time to get rid of them?

sumguy
01-01-2005, 11:38 PM
started with 1.3 mice. A female had babies but they were eaten. A week or so later, one of the females dies. A different female had babies and both females appeared to be taking care of them. Great! Pretty sure there were more than 4 but when I finally decided to bother them only four were left. Now I hava a murder suicide? the mother who was fine when I got home was found dead 5 hours later and two more babies are gone. Will the 1.1 pair and two remaining fuzzies produce a self-sustaining colony or should I feed them off and try again?

Sasheena
01-02-2005, 02:51 AM
At this point, I would say it's likely that there is some sickness in your mice that is causing them to kill the babies. (I've frequently noticed that hitherto perfect momma mice suddenly go psycho and start attacking babies when they are sick-to-death.... several times when they themselves have a perforated uterus). I would say that at this time, I would see if they work out, but if you have the space, I would get another group of mice to start breeding, from a DIFFERENT source, so you can see if you can get them to work out better than your first group.

ghosthousecorns
01-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Sorry but this is a 'me too' post. New years' eve I found my last female dead, the male was still trying to keep pinkies warm, but most of those were dead too. I just decided at that point this mouse breeding thing isn't for me. I fed off the last of the colony, I am sticking to frozen from now on... Hope your last pair makes it, I was going to try the same thing. I bought feeder females, and the ones that that didn't die ate the babies, if I were to do it again I'd get mice from another person that breeds them and not pet store feeder mice!

sumguy
01-03-2005, 08:16 AM
thanks for the info. first trio was from PetCo. this quartet was from a breeder at a show. I'll let this group continue and pick up another group from the breeder this weekend. pretty sure its my bad luck/inexperience causing them to die off and i'll be trying a few husbandry changes. If the new group doesn't work out I'll switch to rats. Really want home grown even though its more work.