PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Problems

Feeding Problems

krista2121
01-03-2005, 10:39 PM
My Pyro hasn't eaten in 3 weeks. I have heard that that snakes do tend to eat less as the weather gets colder.
So should i just still attempt to feed him once a week (as a regularly do) or should I try it less freq. or more freq.?
How long should I leave the mouse in his cage before removing it?
How long can a snake go for without eating?
And is there anyway I can help to get him to eat again?
Any answer is apprereciated..:D

barret
01-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Even though the weather's getting colder, as long as your cage/terrarium is heated properly, the temperature should not be a probelm. I went through the same problem just recently, but i had just discovered that he was shedding which could be the same problem with your snake.
I would not leave mice in the cage to long reguardless if they're dead or alive. Alive ones left unmonitored could hurt your snake and dead ones can bring in bacteria and even give your snake parasites.
i would say give him about a half a week before you attempt to feed him again. Just make sure he has a lot of [clean] water ( especcialy if he is shedding) and that a proper temperature is maintained. It does sound like hes going to shed though.

Vicki M
01-04-2005, 10:17 AM
I have the same problem with one of mine at the moment. You could try feeding when it goes dark outside which is when they naturally hunt for food. You can leave the mouse in the viv overnight (on a piece of plastic). Mine has eaten once in the last 6weeks. It will be due to the temp decreasing as although you have a heat mat the room thmp will be lower which will also make the viv slightly cooler. If you notice any weight loss or changes in the usual behavior of the snake the i would go the vet but otherwise just carry on offering a mouse once a week (or every 5 days). He will eat when he is hungry!
This is the advice I have been given as I was very worried when mine stopped eating but apparently it is quite normal in the winter months in the UK

cornman1979
01-04-2005, 11:56 AM
barret, at this time of year regardless of viv temps, snakes know that hey are usually burmating round about now and as such will spend most of their time at the cool side and refuse to eat for a while. 1 of mine does it every year and this year it was my amel yearling who has just eaten after not eating for 6-1/2 weeks.
krista2121 i'll advise you the same as i did vicki a few weeks ago, and that is only offer food to the snake on a weekley basic and if it is on it's own in the viv leave the Thawed mouse over night (never leave live food over night unless your willing to sit their and watch all night).
It might eat next time or the tme after, or it may wait another month, but as long as it hasn't lost any weight then the snake will be ok.
Vicki, how are your 2 doing? not seen you for a while.

newt
01-04-2005, 01:23 PM
My Pyro hasn't eaten in 3 weeks. I have heard that that snakes do tend to eat less as the weather gets colder.
So should i just still attempt to feed him once a week (as a regularly do) or should I try it less freq. or more freq.?
How long should I leave the mouse in his cage before removing it?
How long can a snake go for without eating?
And is there anyway I can help to get him to eat again?
Any answer is apprereciated..:D
try different methods of feeding. Try to feed it in a smaller container put a lid on it and cover it with a dark sheet. Even try to feed it in your hand. Never bump the nose of your snake with the food item it only scares them and they wont eat for a while.

krista2121
01-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys for helping! tonite I will try to feed him again then post back.

krista2121
01-05-2005, 12:10 AM
ok good news! I put Pyro in a plastic container with the mouse and left him in the dark. Then when I came back 15 mins l8a he ate it=) so thanks everyone for you suggestions!

cornman1979
01-05-2005, 06:12 AM
good result, fingers crossed s/he keeps it down, but i cant see any reason why not.