• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding young

DirtySanchez

Loyal Fan
hey does anyone know the best way to get young to feed after the first shed, just getting ready for my babies that should hatch in the first week of AUG

I have a 4 day old hatcling corn snake and...

i took him out of cage and put him in a bag with a pinky and didnt eat it, I have another snake and I did the same thing and he didnt eat it etiher. So i dont know what to do. I called the reptile store and the guy told me to wait another week then go get some more pinkies to try to feed them but I really dont know wtf is wrong with them. HELP if you could help me.

First of all, at 4 days old, it may not have shed yet. Did it shed? Has it shed? If it has, then I would recommend you getting a small deli cup from the deli dept. of your local grocery store. Put the pinky in the cup with the corn and leave them in a warm spot. Make sure there are air holes of course. You can also poke the frozen/thawed pinky in the head with a pin so that a little bit of blood comes out to release scent if you feel the need. Leave them sit for a good while and usually they will eat it. You could also tease feed the snake. Rub it around the snakes mouth to entice an attack. Make sure all pinkies are of the right size. Newborn pinkies are what you need. Very small ones. Also, if you just aquired the corn after shipping or a local trade or something, let it settle in for around 3 days. Good luck! Let us know-

It has shed..

Hey, thanks for the Info. Yes my baby did shed and a nice shed too. Deli cup? hmmm wouldnt that be the same thing as a plastic bag? pretty much but ill try that anyways. Its been in my house for 2 days. ok newborn pinkies is what i need then. I had those also. Should i try again in 1 week?

-Slams

Don't start worrying yet. Depending on the size of the snake, sometimes even a pinky is too big. If you think this might be the case, you can try just feeding the pinky's head... yeah, I know it's gross, but that's what it takes sometimes. Also, some hatchlings prefer a lizard for their first meal. If you can get an anole somewhere, you can try scenting the pinky with the anole. You have to cut the (dead) anole's skin so you can put a little of the blood on the pinky. Then the pinky will smell like anole, and hopefully the snake will want to eat it. If this does not work, you can try feeding a live pinky (if you've been using f/t), then try feeding a f/t anole. Leave a few days between each feeding attempt to avoid stressing your snake out too much.

Good luck!

So you want me to..

The pet store should have an anole? I havn't heard of this animal ever. THen again im new to reptiles. I have a month or 2 old ball python and he eats his mice just fine every time. This corn got me worried and I hope that he eats. SO , i just cut the head off the damn pinky or put blood from an anole on it? Why the blood of an anole is more tempting to the snake or something?

Don't worry about anoles yet. Work with pinkies for a while. He is young, very young. They can go weeks without eating so I am told. Wait a day or two and try again. and I think you got confused...but never a plastic bag....paper...small brown paper lunch bag.

Yep, I have a hatchling that didn't eat for 3 weeks and she survived just fine.
I got her to start eating by leaving just a thawed pinkie head (they snap off pretty easily when they are frozen and you just thaw the head. It's less messy than sawing off the head of a live or "fresh" pinkie- BELIEVE ME!) with her in a small box overnight. After that, she had no more problems with eating pinkies.

Slams, a plastic bag? Do you mean like a ziplock bag or something? A box would probably work much better. You can use a shoebox with a couple air holes poked in it although something smaller might work better.

If you don't want to scent the pinkie with an anole, you can buy T Rex Lizard Maker which is a liquid thing that you can use to make your pinkie smell like a lizard. Most herp suppliers should have it.

At 4 days, you shouldn't be worried at all. My friend's didn't eat for 4 weeks and just started eating yesterday. And the little thing is just fine. So don't worry. :)

Back