PDA

View Full Version : Not Shedded

Not Shedded

gazza
01-09-2005, 12:16 PM
my snake hasn't shed in about 5 months and i was wondering if that is unusual...and is there anyway that i can tell he is ill?

KatieL
01-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Do you know about how old he is? Older snakes tend to shed less often than hatchlings or yearlings (which shed about every 1 to 2 months).

Mangrove
01-09-2005, 04:44 PM
it could be based on many things,,, it can depend on his diet is it a normal scedule... the temperature and humidity... if he is about to shead if you soke him in water it should lubercate his skin and then he should shed it off.... :shrugs:

DAND
01-09-2005, 04:53 PM
my snake hasn't shed in about 5 months and i was wondering if that is unusual...and is there anyway that i can tell he is ill?

Is it eating and eliminating? What size and age is it?

gazza
01-10-2005, 01:13 PM
it is just over 1 and a half years and it is 3 foot long

DAND
01-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Is it eating and eliminating?

gazza
01-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Yes.......

Tracee
01-10-2005, 03:27 PM
One of the easiest ways to spot something is wrong is if they stop eating, so if he is still eating ok then try not to panic just yet. Is it humid enough in his viv, is he drinking ok do you know? Any change in his behaviour at all?

I notice in another post of yours you say the snake is in the same room as a sunbed...let's presume it is just coincidence you have noticed he has not shed in so long.

I have checked my records and my (almost 4 1/2 year old) corn has once gone 4 months without shedding, during a period he was far too busy pining after a female to do anything else :\. Usually it is 1-2 months max, and he is much older than yours so you are right to be concerned.

Is it possible the skin is somewhere in the viv? Have you checked thoroughly? (They do not eat them btw).

If you notice any change in behaviour or other symptoms, take him to a vet.