PDA

View Full Version : this is a stupid question but..

this is a stupid question but..

Virago
01-11-2005, 09:41 AM
My 2yrs cornsnake has black checkers on his belly but my new snake born around october 2004 has light grey/beige checkers. Is this normal? My friends who bought there snakes the same time and place are the same.

lisa127
01-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Your two year old corn, which I'm assuming is a normal corn, has black checkers because it has black pigment. Therefore, a red albino corn without black pigment is not going to have black checkers on it's belly.

That, of course, is assuming I am correct about the morphs of your corns. :)

Virago
01-11-2005, 10:05 AM
that makes alot of sense. But what about my friends 2 corns. 1 is a Hypo and the other an Okeetee and there bellies are the same.

lisa127
01-11-2005, 10:21 AM
the hypo would have reduced black pigment, so no black checkers. the okeetee i'm not sure, because most okeetees i've seen have very distinct black checkering on a clean white belly.

Vicki M
01-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Yea my anery has black and white which go grey when she is about to shed, but my amel (albino) has a white belly with no cheques at all.

lisa127
01-11-2005, 10:35 AM
my amel has a white belly with orange checks....

cornman1979
01-11-2005, 11:47 AM
1 is a Hypo and the other an Okeetee and there bellies are the same.
What morph of hypo is it?
Diffeant morphs has differant straighs IE an okeetee will have a black checkerd board effect, while an amel from an okeetee line will have the same effect but only with an orange checkerd board effect, and so on for differant morphs/hypos/hets

lisa127
01-11-2005, 08:41 PM
so are you saying that since my amel has an orange checkerboard pattern as opposed to a white belly, that it is from okeetee lines?

Joejr14
01-11-2005, 11:25 PM
so are you saying that since my amel has an orange checkerboard pattern as opposed to a white belly, that it is from okeetee lines?

That's absolutely not right. The only way your animal should have a white belly is if it's a snow/blizzard, motley, and I believe bloodreds also have white bellies.

Amels, normals, anery's, etc etc etc all will have some visible checkerboarding, including hypos. The color might be different, as an amel will have orangish checker pattern, and an anery will have a black, along with a normal.

MegF.
01-11-2005, 11:32 PM
I believe that stripes and motleys are also without belly checkering. The darkness of the belly checkering should be in response to whether or not it has a gene for black. The amels don't have the black gene, so the checkers that should be black are usually pale beige or something of that sort. I would think that a hypo would have lighter belly checkers and normals such as Okeetees (which is a location, not really a morph) should have dark checkering. There are of course, variations from snake to snake. Some having maybe more brown and such mixed with black like my aztec okeetee who's het amel. My pure okeetees are very dark black checkering with some brown mixed in.

Joejr14
01-12-2005, 01:03 AM
I believe that stripes and motleys are also without belly checkering. The darkness of the belly checkering should be in response to whether or not it has a gene for black. The amels don't have the black gene, so the checkers that should be black are usually pale beige or something of that sort. I would think that a hypo would have lighter belly checkers and normals such as Okeetees (which is a location, not really a morph) should have dark checkering. There are of course, variations from snake to snake. Some having maybe more brown and such mixed with black like my aztec okeetee who's het amel. My pure okeetees are very dark black checkering with some brown mixed in.

Right. There are many more morphs that will have no checkering. I only listed motley because I think most conclude that stripe is a version of motley. Opal would be another that doesn't have checker, and I'm not sure about lavender. All bloodreds are lacking too, so throw pewter into that group. I'm sure there's a lot more.

CornCrazy
01-12-2005, 05:51 AM
But opals, snows, and blizzards DO have some checkering (only the checkers are lighter than normal), unless you are talking about motley or striped patterns in the three morphs.

lisa127
01-12-2005, 10:49 AM
That's absolutely not right. The only way your animal should have a white belly is if it's a snow/blizzard, motley, and I believe bloodreds also have white bellies.

Amels, normals, anery's, etc etc etc all will have some visible checkerboarding, including hypos. The color might be different, as an amel will have orangish checker pattern, and an anery will have a black, along with a normal.

That's what I figured. The previous post had me a little confused. :confused: I