PDA

View Full Version : These are great for the stubborn (non) feeders

These are great for the stubborn (non) feeders

gardenmum
01-11-2005, 11:57 AM
I purchased a trio of gerbils, a mother and her grown daughter who have always lived together and an unrelated male. Well, they all took to each other very well and i have had my first two litters of babies born. Each one had 7 babies, one three weeks ago and the other this week. I took 5 out of each clutch and froze them. I thawed them and gave them to all absolute non feeders that have refused every way of offering a pinky there is and I have been force feeding them righ along. I will say, I always allow the babies a couple hours opportunity to decide to eat on their own before I force feed them the pink. Anyway, I offered these 9 babies (yeah, I know, I said I had 5 from each. Well my siamese cat thought it would be a tasty treat to snitch one as it was thawing and eat it...lol), so I offered 9 babies out. Four the first time and then the five the second time. The babies scarfed these pinks down within a minute of putting them in. So.....to say the least, I am getting a couple more boys to add to the little girls I kept from these litters and am going to stock up on these "magic balls" for next breeding season. Once these that get used to eating the gerbil pinks on their own eat a couple more times, I will start to switch them over to mouse pinks.

And another plus!! I have NO problem with odors as they have a lot less dropping and urin than mice & rats. You can't put a harem together as these rodents are menogamous and mate for life. Actually it is not easy to get a trio together since the dominate female will usually try to kill the lesser female when she becomes pregnant, but I got lucky in getting a mother/daughter that were bonded and are having no problems raising both sets of babies together. The next ones I set up will be single pairs.

Here are pictures of the trio. The male is the dark gray with darker gray points (he had siamese colored siblings). The older female is the light gray. And also here are pictures taken today of both sets of babies I left with the moms. The older ones are the original mothes babies and they are both female. The younger babies are too small right yet to tell what their sexes are.

tai_pan1
01-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Excellent! Congrats on getting them to eat. I had 1 non feeder last year who eventually succumbed. I tried everything (except gerbils) to get him to eat and nothing worked. If I have any this year, I'll have to give the gerbil pinkys a try. Thanks for the information.

Mike

CAV
01-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Nice pink cage Dianne! I'm sure the male will eventually regain his desire to breed once he rediscovers his masculinity. Did the guys from "Queer Eye for the Rodent Guy" help with the decorating? :rolleyes:

(Did I actually just make that reference in a thread about Gerbils????) :roflmao:

ARMAGEDDON!

gardenmum
01-19-2005, 10:21 AM
GARY.....YOU BAD!!! LOL.

And I'll have you know, that that boy never lost his masculinity because he was "in pink". Plenty of babies being born.

Leave it to you to see the color of the cage and not the beautiful animals IN the cage........ :rolleyes: :sidestep:

gardenmum
01-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Oh..... and I should add.....I see your time away didn't dull your sense of humor. :)

Drizzt80
01-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Another rodent that worked for me to kick start a very stubborn non-feeder was Siberian Dwarf Hamster pinks. It worked like a charm, and now my normal motley is growing up fast and already into f/t hopper mice!

http://www.wiktel.net/drizzt80/NM001m.jpg

D80

gardenmum
01-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Yes, Drizzt, hamsters work just as well as the gerbils. I tried raising Teddy Bear hamsters for that purpose but found them to be a royale pain for keeping/breeding. Each one has to be housed alone and you can only put the female in with the male for a short time and WATCH them to make sure they don't kill each other. I put a female in with my male and they were breeding so I went off and did some house work and came back later and the female was in the midst of trying to kill the male. And one of my females simply would have nothing to do with breeding no matter when she was put in, and that was during her obvious breeding stage. So I gave away all but the male I have, whom I like. I find the gerbils not only much easier but fun to watch also.

I'm curious, do the dwarf hamster need the same "in seperate" cages deal and such as the Teddy Bears?

pcar
01-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Nice pink cage Dianne! I'm sure the male will eventually regain his desire to breed once he rediscovers his masculinity. Did the guys from "Queer Eye for the Rodent Guy" help with the decorating? :rolleyes:

(Did I actually just make that reference in a thread about Gerbils????) :roflmao:

ARMAGEDDON!

OMG CAV. I knew that you were having issues...but didn't think they were this bad.

BTW Dianne, Thanks for the info.

Drizzt80
01-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Dianne, working at the pet store, we can't sell them fast enough to clear out the cages. They breed really fast, and for the most part get along just fine. In fact at various occasions, the boss tells me to just take the pinks before they have a chance to grow up. The nicest thing about the Siberian Dwarf pinks is that they are so much smaller than even mice pinks. It proved to be great for a couple of my smaller non-feeders.

D80