PDA

View Full Version : important please read and leave feedback

important please read and leave feedback

Virago
01-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Last night I went in a Pet store, and was speaking with an employee they told me that they have a Ball Python and a Corn in the back that won't eat. The Ball hasn't eaten for 2 mths( it must be almost 3 feet long so it's definitely not from a breeder, they take trade ins and don't give the prper info to buyers. I guess if you don't know the info you can't give it. I know Balls get stressed out easily and won't eat but these people didn't even know you could forcefeed. Which isn't a great idea but its better than dying. Also the corn hasn't eaten for three weeks. Just a little guy. (Personnaly I have never had a problem with feeding, Not that it doesn't happen especially around this time of year.) These People also didn't know anything about leaving them in a deli cup with the pink.or force feeding as I have mentioned. They just put the prey right in the viv for like half an hour then if it doesn't eat they just take it out. They only have lights on the tanks not under heat that I could see and they must turn it off at night which would mean no heat(the store is in a mall right beside the outside doors so it must get pretty cold.) Or they leave the light on and its always day time. Talk about stress. I told them to put the corn in a deli cup with the pink over night when they close and see what happens. If they'll do it I don't know. Why would they keep something up for sale if its only going to die. Why not "GIVE" it to someone who would take the necessary measures. I'm just really UPSET. Does any one know anything I could do to help this corn? any groups or animal ministries that could help it get what it needs. I would be more than happy to take it home and bring it to health, but I'm in college with a house and a 2yr old and they want $160.00 for the normal. Not that money matters but I don't really have the ability to buy a new viv and everything in it plus a 160.00 snake. I just want to know if there is someone I could call that could help me get it out of there. I believe both these snakes will die and thats just sad and not necessary. Please help!!! :cry:

KatieL
01-12-2005, 08:37 AM
That is really sad, and unfortunately, I don't know of anything that could help. $160 seems like a phenomenal amount for a small normal...especially one thats not eating...whats the deal with that??? Good luck finding help for those two..

JM :o)
01-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Please don't suggest they force feed those snakes. It is perfectly normal for them both to go off feed for several months in the Winter. Ball pythons are famous for it~ and it's really not at all unusual for the corn either. Unless the snakes begin losing muscle mass force feeding is un-necessary~ adds to the stress~ and may guarantee the snake refuses to feed from then on.

The heat sounds inadequate~ suggest they adjust it. Let them know balls need more heat than the corn. (90F hot side for the ball, 80F hot side for the corn) and suggest they try leaving the prey item overnight with the snakes. (Point out to them that a prey item left overnight should be a baby~ Fuzzies~ mice for the corn, a rat for the ball)

If the snakes do not eat on their own~ then just try again next week.

Please do not purchase animals that are being mistreated at a pet store. I know it is difficult to watch~ but if you purchase the animal all that does is put money in the coffer to buy another one~ and if the first one sold why change anything? They'll just buy another and do exactly the same thing.

DAND
01-12-2005, 10:28 AM
I don't know if you have an animal warden or an equivalent agency there in Canada. If you do I'd contact them.