• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

not your typical shedding questions

Bluebeard

Ok so I was reading the latest issue of Somthing About Corns, and the artical on shedding "When Corns Get the Blues" ,excelent read by the way, but it raised some questions. I recently experianced Annabella's First shed in my care no there was alot of dificulty and i basicly had to get her out of it for her, but i didn't get it off in time and and there was some damage to the last little part of her tail, i'm going to post a pic to show, its not very good but you can see the dark red on the very end of her tail, but as to the artical there where two parts that made me wonder,

" Once the second set of keratin layers has formed. lymph (which is rich in oils and enzymes) infuses between the two layers and the enzymes break down the bonds to losse the overlying old skin"
and
"The oils from the lymph act as a lubrication to allow the snake to shed the skin more easily. You can feel the oily dampness on theshed skin and the freshly revealed new skin on your snake right after shedding"

Now befor anybody asks if there was something that i could have done to help her like baths humity hides, misting.... ya i did it all. so don't wast your time asking. moving on, first when i was helping her out of her shed, there was no oily feelling and it seamed like the skin was still stuck to her new skin, but i new it had to come off she was already too tired form tying to get it off herself. so my questions are.
1. is there any way to promote the production of Lymph oils?

2. like a suplement or vitmen i can add to her food the next time she goes into shed?

3. could she have problem in this paticular gland?

Attachments

• anna007.JPG
    anna007.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 63
Wow, those seem like tough questions. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you, but hopefully you'll find some on here.

Good luck with the the next shed, I hope everything is worked out by then...

I don't know if there's anything you can do about it except what you did. Get the humidity up as much as possible. It may be that the misting didn't raise the levels as much as you suspected. My one hatchling didn't shed well the first time and she was too nervous to really handle so I made a moist hide and physically put her in it. She stayed there, but would never have left her one hide to go in it on her own. You may have to put your snake in the moist hide to get her to use it next time. As for her tail. My amel has the same thing. She came to me with a bit of a nub from a bad shed, and it still is kind of strange looking. The damaged part fell off, and the very tip is kind of rounded and has a little nub. I have to really check it when she sheds now because the skin always gets stuck on there. I almost wish that she'd just lost the entire tip. That way it would have been a little stubby looking, but it would have been smooth..

Back