PDA

View Full Version : Ingested some substrate..what now?

Ingested some substrate..what now?

JTGoff69
01-13-2005, 08:08 PM
The same snake I have posted about with the strange feeding behavior did the same thing tonight. Since she had only eaten a pinkie the last feed (on Sunday), and was cruising tonight, I decided to try to feed her the regular meal of 2 lg pinks. Well....she ate 1 (with slits in it per Hurley's findings), and left the other in her NEW separate feed container. I put the other in her viv on top of the cage carpet and she proceeded to drag it over while ingesting it to the aspen, meanwhile taking in some shavings. I am worried sick she is going to have a problem with impaction, but I didn't have a chance to take the mouse away as it was a really fast feed. What should I look for as far as impaction problems? :shrugs:

n1ck
01-13-2005, 08:18 PM
not sure what to say to that buddy but the lady at the pet store told me to use this calcium stuff as bedding because if they eat it the stuff passes right through no problem. i still dont feed in the viv but who knows. i wouldnt think the aspen would be good for the snake but from the sounds of it thats one of the most popular sub. used ? i wouldnt think it would be too harmful! hope everything goes okay for u good luck

Spirit
01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I was told today that aspen is more easily passed through than foerst bed. *gasp* Opinions?

(In other words, keep an eye on the snake but don't worry unless you find something to worry about)

n1ck
01-13-2005, 08:27 PM
what exactly is "forest bed" made up of? that somethin u buy in a store?

oldhand
01-14-2005, 08:06 AM
For a 1 off and in a small amount, it shouldn't harm your snake with an impaction, i am 95% sure of that, because asphen is reasnobly easy to pass, from what i have read on differant forums, but how accurate this is i don't know, just passing it on.

MegF.
01-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Nick, it sounds like the petstore person told you to use Calcisand which is a no-no for corns. You need to remove it right away. I'd agree with oldhand about the ingestion. I'd just keep an eye on your snake and see how it goes. Hopefully you can start feeding in a seperate container soon.

n1ck
01-14-2005, 10:40 AM
thanks, i will remove that stuff probably today. i need to go into the pet store i was thinking that carefresh, aspen or i think there was a coconut substance i could use? any recomendations? :shrugs:

cornman1979
01-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Nick Asphen is the best stuff on the planet IMHO

starwarsdad
01-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I use aspen and have for years.

As for calci-sand, the key work is sand. It MAY be OK if ingested, but it is still made to simulate sand which is a no-no for most species of snake.

rippit
01-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree - I use aspen. It's cheap and it absorbs the smell nicely.

ruby's dad
01-14-2005, 10:58 AM
i was told by local breeder that aspen is the only thing you should use for corns..

cornman1979
01-14-2005, 11:02 AM
i was told by local breeder that aspen is the only thing you should use for corns..
It's not the only thing, but it's by far the best, well i think so.

JTGoff69
01-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the help and I'll keep a close eye on her to make sure she poops okay. Thank goodness she's a butter mot and I can pretty much see through her so I should have a heads up if she gets impacted. This little girl is putting me through the wringer!! :crazy01:

n1ck
01-14-2005, 11:20 AM
wow thats a lot of opinions and they are all pointing in one direction! thanks a lot for all the help people. im on my way to town to get some aspen and some vines or something for her to climb on to encourage the little thing to come out of hiding.......maybe a half shelter of some sort so i can at least se her while she is hiding! thanks a bunch.

MegF.
01-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Aspen is great. If you can't get your baby to feed in a seperate box yet, put paper in your viv and feed in there until she'll feed in the other enclosure. It took about two months for a couple of my snakes to feel comfortable enough to eat in a seperate box.

MADMAN
01-14-2005, 11:55 AM
thanks, i will remove that stuff probably today. i need to go into the pet store i was thinking that carefresh, aspen or i think there was a coconut substance i could use? any recomendations? :shrugs:

if you can find cypress substrate it is ideal it holds moisture nicely to keep the humidity up

my miami phase is on it here

http://home.mountaincable.net/~jbucco/miamiphase.jpg

Joejr14
01-16-2005, 09:33 PM
if you can find cypress substrate it is ideal it holds moisture nicely to keep the humidity up

my miami phase is on it here

http://home.mountaincable.net/~jbucco/miamiphase.jpg

You do not need high humidity for corns, and cypress mulch isn't needed. I'd stick to aspen/eco-earth/reptibark.

cornsnake00
01-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Carefresh bedding is good for rodents but not for snakes. It will dry your snake out (draw moisture away from your snake when crawling over it) making it difficult to shed!
Shredded aspen is by far the best substrate making it easy to spot clean.
As far as ingesting while eating, it would depend on the size of the snake and how much the snake ingested! Just make sure your snake expels that food item normally before feeding again.

Spirit
01-18-2005, 02:49 PM
You do not need high humidity for corns, and cypress mulch isn't needed. I'd stick to aspen/eco-earth/reptibark.

I've heard aspen is the best for snakes, but I use forest bed (aka eco-earth) and my little guy absolutely LOVES it. He'll tunnel and pop his little head up... Its' so cute, he just looks so happy when he does that. hehe

JTGoff69
01-18-2005, 06:43 PM
We have poop!!! (Never thought I'd be excited about THAT! LOL) I took her out yesterday and looked and while I was holding her it was moving towards the vent, so back in she went. Today, we have liftoff!! :grin01:

MegF.
01-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah!!!! Poopies!!!!

Spirit
01-18-2005, 07:29 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

JTGoff69
01-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks Meg. Isn't it ridiculous, if the dog or cats poop (in the house) I have a fit. With the snakes, I'm cheering. CRAZY!!!! :laugh: