PDA

View Full Version : Will thawed pinkies kill our new corn?

Will thawed pinkies kill our new corn?

Brooklyn
01-17-2005, 12:15 AM
First-time owners, Sky (age 11) & Melody (kid sister), fell in love with Jeffrey (cornsnake) at Westchester Co Reptile show. Bought him, brought him home with all necessary accoutrements including 50 frozen small pinkies.

In the excitement of setting up the cage, no one put the pinkies in the freezer for about an hour. :awcrap: I found them somewhat thawed (the package was no longer solid), and popped them in the freezer.

Should I just throw them out? We're afraid we blew it, and they're no good anymore, since they must have partially thawed. The seller said Jeffrey should feed on Thursday. Should we try one of these pinkies, or will it kill him?

We're all upset that we have no food for the wee snake. Anyone have any idea where I can get pinkies in Brooklyn NY? (Seems like a large enough city!) THANKS!

heartpeace ~brooklyn

Amanda E
01-17-2005, 12:25 AM
They should be okay. I have been known to attempt to feed a snake only to find an hour later than the snake didn't take the pinky. I go ahead and refreeze it and feed it next time.

I see no reason why these pinkies of yours should be thrown out.

Spirit
01-17-2005, 12:46 AM
I've heard that you can refreeze the pinky within 30 minutes and still be safe, but I honestly dont know the time before it becomes unsafe. I do know that you can't refreeze them twice though.

And incase you didn't know how to thaw them, put them in a ziplock then in a cup of hot (tap) water. Use a spoon or something to hold them down. Do NOT put them in the microwave for 2 reasons. 1: they can "cook" (which is bad) and 2: They can blow up.

Congrats on the new addition! What kind of corn is it, do you know?

JTGoff69
01-17-2005, 05:24 AM
If they only became partially thawed but were still extremely cold you should be ok. I live over an hour away from reptile shows and when I buy my mice there they are fine when I get them home.

daisy
01-17-2005, 08:11 AM
I've heard that you can refreeze the pinky within 30 minutes and still be safe, but I honestly dont know the time before it becomes unsafe. I do know that you can't refreeze them twice though.

And incase you didn't know how to thaw them, put them in a ziplock then in a cup of hot (tap) water. Use a spoon or something to hold them down. Do NOT put them in the microwave for 2 reasons. 1: they can "cook" (which is bad) and 2: They can blow up.

Congrats on the new addition! What kind of corn is it, do you know?

Trust me on the blowing up thing. I was running out the door to catch a plane and realized that I had forgotten to feed my snake....being new at this whole thing I thought I'd toss the little sucker in the micro for a few seconds and voila.....Unfortunately, 10 seconds turned the little fella inside out :awcrap: and man did it smell :-puke01:
By the time I got it all cleaned up I was late and almost missed my plane...AND I was able to thaw a mouse in hot water while I was cleaning...

zlehmann
01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
realize its a 4 year old post but you can get pinkies from petland in greenpoint brooklyn