PDA

View Full Version : Creeper has not eaten since Christmas

Creeper has not eaten since Christmas

Creeper
01-18-2005, 11:51 PM
We got Creeper for Christmas and she has eaten only once, on Dec 26. We keep the temp of her home right around 80 degrees, but were wondering if the winter months slow down a snake's eating habits regardless of the heater. Most everything we've read says that young snakes usually eat at least once a week. We've tried live pinkies, dead pinkies, ground beef, pet food. She ate a bit of pet food last week, but not very much. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Spirit
01-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Ummm... ground beef? Pet food? Never feed your snake ANYTHING but mice.

The temps should be around 80-85 (82-83 is good) on the warm side, and roughly 10 degrees less on the cool side. It should also have two hides... one on either side.

Feeding 1 pinky mouse every 5-7 days, if the snake is refusing the most common mistake that I've noticed is people trying to feed again too soon. If your snake refuses wait at LEAST a few days (4-5) before trying again. Try making little cuts in the mouse or "braining" it for scent (most snakes react to this). You can also try tease feeding by holding the pinky with a set of tongs (if you wish) and SLOWLY rotating it around (bouncing it around may scare your snake).

Just please... no more pet food. JUST MICE. Nothing else. :) And remember after feeding to not handle the snake for 48 hours to prevent a regurg.

Also, new snakes need at LEAST a few days of NO HANDLING/DISTURBING to get used to their new homes. A stressed snake will often refuse to eat.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums. :)

CAV
01-19-2005, 07:35 AM
How long are you waiting between feeding attempts? If I'm reading correctly, it appears that it has taken place a minimum of 4 times. Only offer on a set schedule (7 days until the feeding routine is established). If the snake doesn't eat, wait the entire week before the next attempt.

Yes and stick to the mice.........other items may be unhealthy and may causes confusion.

Creeper
01-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. We read in our corn snake manual that it was okay to try and coax her into eating moist, soft pet food. But we'll stick to mousies from now on - one day a week. We got Creeper on the Wednesday before Christmas and were told her regular feeding day was Thursday. She would not eat on Thursday, so we tried on Sunday and she ate. We tried to stick to the Thursday schedule after that, but she wouldn't eat, so we tried to offer her food after that on the days she was active. She's not losing weight, but she's not growing either. She has not shed yet. I guess that should happen pretty soon.

Creeper
01-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Creeper finally ate a pinkie today! Thanks to you for your kind advice. She pounced on that little mousie and swallowed it in no time. :)

JeanH
01-23-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm glad to hear she ate. I hope mine does soon.

I'm having problems feeding my snake too but I think I know what I'm doing wrong. I've been trying to feed her everyday instead of waiting a couple of days. She ate on the 14th and I went to feed them again on the 20th. I usually feed every 5-7 days and vary between that. ie..one time 5 days, next time 7, etc. Well since she didn't eat I've been trying to to feed her every night. When I try again to feed her. Should I wait 5 days from the time she should have ate or from the last time I tried to feed her and she refused (yesterday)? That would make my next attempt to fee on Wednesday. Thanks!!

Jean

Creeper
01-23-2005, 07:10 PM
We coddled and doted on Creeper too much. Not having ever been snake parents before, we didn't really know any better. We were advised here to basically give her some space and let her be for several days. After doing so, she ate today faster than I thought possible. She completely devoured that little pinkie in about 5 minutes! I think we'll keep following the advice. Broke my heart to hear the little pinkie squeeling for mercy, though. Maybe we'll try the frozen ones next time...

MERCURY
01-26-2005, 08:02 PM
I had the same problem with merc, since the 29th of december he has been in his hide most of the time and wouldnt feed but then he shed today and took a fuzzie a couple of hours later :D