PDA

View Full Version : Growth of my corn

Growth of my corn

Abuyoussef
07-25-2002, 01:34 AM
hey i would like to know do like corn snakes keep on growing through out tere lives of they stop growing at a certain age...... the life spam for corn snakes is 15-20 years right ????? thank you

pinatamonkey
07-25-2002, 01:54 AM
Corns grow mostly in their first couple of years. I've heard they never really stop, but the growth slows down so dramatically it doesn't really look like they're growing. By the time they're around 4 years old, they are pretty much adult size.

Abuyoussef
07-25-2002, 05:45 AM
so audri your always there for me huh ? :o)

apollo's_mommy
10-26-2002, 01:20 PM
Hi.. I'm new here. But I've had my corn snake... for ohh... about six and a half months. And I've read just about every single book word for word on corn snakes. And I'm so happy I've finally found a forum where I can talk about my lil Apollo! He's a sweetheart... yah...yah... I know he's a snake... but he's really calm and gentle... especially around my younger brother and sister. I'm eighteen and he's my real first constrictor. I have a leopard gecko, a garter snake, hamster, lovebird, two dogs, and of course my lil albino okeetee corn.
But I had a couple questions about him -

First,
I've got him in a ten gallon aquarium right now - it's fixed up all pretty with the right lighting and everything. Well... he's a bit bigger than when I first got him ( which was the day after he hatched ). How do I know when he's getting big enough to fit him into a twenty-gallon tank? Should I just put him in one right now? I couldn't tell you his width exactly - but he's about 19-20 inches in length.

Second of all,
All of the book I've read talk about corns getting to be about 2-4 feet long. Unless I'm not feeding him enough- is he too small? Or does it take a few years for them to get fairly big? Because I feed him once a week - sometimes two times a week.

Thanks for your help... I hope I get to make all of your aquaintances ( sorry.. I can't spell.) :)
:)

noe
10-27-2002, 11:37 AM
It will indeed take a few years for your corn to reach full length. He can probably handle the 10-gallon until he gets to be around two feet, but personally I don't think putting him in a 20-gal now will cause any problems.

Have you read the Cornsnake Manual by Kathy Love? It contains all this info and a lot more.

kenalotia
10-27-2002, 07:14 PM
I'd say 2 feet is tiny for a full-grown corn snake. They should get to at least 3 ft. I think. Average size for an adult female is about 4 feet, and the males usually get a bit bigger.