PDA

View Full Version : Well, add me to the list

Well, add me to the list

Joejr14
01-21-2005, 04:57 AM
..of those who have lost a snake within the past few weeks.

It seems like a very nasty trend around here that's sprung up within the past few weeks. I dont know what the deal is, but it's a bit ridiculous.

Anywho, my '04 anery (which was a freakin' replacement of another '04 anery that refused to eat while in a friends care) died today on me. I did a check on all of them this afternoon before I went to get food and noticed my anery just laying by his water dish. I expected him to boogie off when I touched him, but no such luck.

He was still alive, but very weak. He would try to pick his head up but then just crash back down. At first I thought some sort of nuerological issue, but then as I was holding him I felt a lump on the ventral side about 2" or so up from his vent. When I felt that my very first thought was impaction, but since I've never felt that before I have no idea. I emailed the breeder while it was still alive and he was pretty much lost, as was I. Apparently I've had some terribly rotten luck in general this year, as I believe these are his only 2 hatchlings that he's sold that have died. I believe someone is out to get me.

Anyway, I bagged him and put him in the freezer after Gino reccomended I do a makeshift autopsy to investigate this lump. I do expect to find out that this lump was a mass---obviously, but I'm very curious to see what exactly it is of---since I'm 100% sure this is the cause of death. All of the other snakes I got from him in a shipment last Wed (there were 5 total) are doing very well, and my '03 pair is from him and they're model snakes, never refuse a meal, dont show aggression, etc, so I'm fully confident in his snakes.

Hopefully it will come up as an impaction or a twist of the intestines or something. Today was to be feeding day, and I did nothing but keep the temps up and provide fresh water and check on them starting 2-3 days after I got them last Wed. I'm hoping this is just an internal thing, since I cant rationale that it's a husbandry issue since they're all housed the same way.

Anyway, to me this is a sign that he needs to be replaced, and I've got my eye on an '03 pair (Caramel and Normal het butter motley) from Kathy. I am now accepting donations to the fund. Just kidding :)

Hopefully this whole month long incident of snake deaths is over....Rich had the thought that perhaps the weaker '04 babies are just finally succumbing, who knows.

mbdorfer
01-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Sorry for your loss. I know that you know what you are doing, so I'm not offering advice, just my condolences. I lost two last October and I believe they were just weak babies, it happens. It sucks!, but it happens. Hope you get the pair, I love butters.

DAND
01-21-2005, 06:29 AM
Sorry to hear of your recent loss. It always sucks to loose one. :awcrap:

CAV
01-21-2005, 09:40 AM
I feel your pain Joe, I've lost 5 snakes in the last month. Sometimes husbandry just can't overcompensate for Mother Nature's intent. Don't beat yourself up.

I'd like to say it gets easier, but it doesn't. :nope:

KatieL
01-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, Joe. Better luck with your next pair.

Missy
01-21-2005, 05:26 PM
oh my goodness, this is just terrible
i too am very sorry to hear of your loss
i too wish i could say it gets easier, but afraid i cant, i lost my missy last july and still find it hard.
i wish you all the very best for your next little ones though
keep your head up
:(

Itch
01-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Hang in there. When it all goes right it's really worth it. We forget sometimes that we can do everything right, and still Mother nature has other plans. It just sucks when it's the snake you have.

Joejr14
01-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I feel your pain Joe, I've lost 5 snakes in the last month. Sometimes husbandry just can't overcompensate for Mother Nature's intent. Don't beat yourself up.

I'd like to say it gets easier, but it doesn't. :nope:

That sucks. Losing one is bad enough, nevermind 5. I'd really almost rather know it was a screwup on my end, instead of just not knowing or having absolutely no clue at all.

wildernessey
01-21-2005, 08:02 PM
ah, Joe I'm so sorry!! There have been a lot of losses lately, haven't there?

You know, I think this baby of mine (that I belive probably won't make it)has a lump like that too.
I took her out and examined her again today. I can see fecal matter when I hold her up to the light and that hasn't moved in days, but still appears to be freely moveable in fluid.
However, like you, I found a dark, hard lump about 2" up from her vent. She's losing weight quickly now, not eating and not passing. I think it's only a matter of time for her.
If you find out what that lump was please post it as it may help me with my situation as well.
But as stated earlier, Mother Nature has a way of selecting and she knows best. It may just be something that is meant to happen.

My condolences to you. You've been very kind to me in my situation, so if there's anything I can do, let me know.
Karen

CornCrazy
01-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Sorry...but it is not over with yet. I lost one today, as well. It was not a corn snake, though. It was my black rat snake from Dwight Good. He was from Dwight's line that is VERY black.

wildernessey
01-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Oh my goodness!!! This is so sad!!
Terri, I'm so sorry to hear you lost one too!

CornCrazy
01-22-2005, 05:51 AM
Thank you, Karen. I really appreciate it.

JeanH
01-22-2005, 10:55 AM
For everyone that has lost a snake, I'm really sorry. Its hard to loose a pet.

It also scares me because my girl has been doing great since I bought her last Sept. I fed her on the 14th and she ate fine. Well went to feed both of mine on Friday and she refused to eat. Which she never does. So I tired again to feed her last night and she wouldn't eat. Left her in the sterilte container for about an hour. Nothing except hiding under the paper towel. I'll try again tonight. I've also notice she's been hanging out under the water dish alot. Hopefully its just nothing. Maybe she's getting ready to shed, its been almost a month, although she does look it.

Jean

wildernessey
01-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I wonder if there is some correlation between all these snake deaths and sudden changes in behavior?
It sounds like a lot of us experiencing these things are on the eastern half of the US. Would that be correct?
My corn has been in hiding for some time now. Which is unlike her but I figured it was time for a shed. The humidity has been low in the house, so I added a moist hide, but her behavior is more narky than usual during shed. She hasn't eaten in about two weeks, which isn't a concern, she can handle going for a while. She's a big'un.

But this is odd that there are so many people with corns behaving oddly.
Weather? Time of year? Could they be going thru a self-induced brumation?
Just find it strange.